CoinPeople.com

Is this a rouble?

Hussulo

Yes, it is still worth a fair bit. Total mintage of this ruble is supposely 190,845 but I have seen terribly scratched examples, holed etc (and sold one before).

Probably in that grade, I wouldn't be too suprised if it hits between 50-75USD, but it hasn't be up on the ebay these days. Who knows what a desperate buyer is willing to pay these days...

No but I have seen it for sale. Is it worth much?

V.V. Kazakov lists prices for this coin (in 2004) as F: $50, VF: $100, XF: $200, UNC: $450, Proof: $1,000. There was one offered at the last NY Sale (lot #1556) slabbed by NGC as MS-64. Estimate was $400; sold for $525 (source: Dmitry Markov: Russian Coins.

PS - I would grade this coin at VF-35, FWIW ... wouldn't be surprised if it made XF-40 at NGC, though. They have gotten so lenient of late ... might want to Google for the phrase "market grading" in Google groups, and read all about it in the newsgroup rec.collecting.coins.

How prices have increased over the years... I remember getting mine for around 50USD:

901757.jpg

Perhaps the design that threw you off is because it is not it's typical double head eagle reverse.

Russia minted probably around 14 different Imperial commemorative coins, (there are some that can be debated as medallic-"coins"), which do not follow the usual trends of standard Russian designs.

Ironically, the first Imperial commemorative coin (other than the 1757 Sestroretsk and the 1832 Kolyvan coins) was designed by a German mintmaster, and in fact, the idea of commemorative coins were kindly "borrowed" from the German commemorative thalers. The best example is 1835 Family ruble to the 1828 Bavarian thaler.

I paid a bit under $200 for mine, but it has nice mirrorish fields (Which are not shown at all on the scan at omnicoin).

I love it :ninja:

The legend around the portrait on the obverse is in abbreviated Russian.

It means "By the Grace of God, Nicholas II, Emperor and Autocrat of all Russia - Coronation in Moscow 1896"

As a minor point, the official translation of the obverse inscription in English was "By the Grace of God, Nicholas II, Emperor and Autocrat of All the Russias."

RWJ

As a minor point, the official translation of the obverse inscription in English was "By the Grace of God, Nicholas II, Emperor and Autocrat of All the Russias."

RWJ

Good point and thank you for the correction. "All the Russias" being Great, Little and White Russia, yes?

Good point and thank you for the correction.  "All the Russias" being Great, Little and White Russia, yes?

Yes.

In finnish it goes:

"Jumalan Armosta, Nikolai II, Kokovenäjän Keisari ja Itsevaltias, Puolanmaan Tsaari, Suomen Suuriruhtinas, jne., jne., jne..."

Good point and thank you for the correction.  "All the Russias" being Great, Little and White Russia, yes?

I think that you are correct but Imperial authorities might also have been thinking of Kazan and other regions. Perhaps someone reading this note has further information?

RWJ

I've been always under the impression that "White Russia" was approximately same as modern Belarus and "Little (or Red) Russia" Ukraine.

Correct me if I'm wrong :ninja:

I've been always under the impression that "White Russia" was approximately same as modern Belarus and "Little (or Red) Russia" Ukraine.

Correct me if I'm wrong :ninja:

This is my understanding as well. However, I am not familiar with "Red Russia" for Ukraine. To me, the term "Red Russia" is similar to "Red China", a reference to the RSFSR and later USSR. However, it might be a reference to colors assigned to the cardinal points of the compass as mentioned here.

I don't know which direction is "red", but if it is South, then that might be a source for such a name for Ukraine.

Archived