CoinPeople.com

Yugoslavia in the throws of hyper-inflation

SlavicScott

Mid to late 1993 saw the worst hyper-inflation in Yugoslav history. Two monetary reforms in the previous 3 years (1990 & 1992) did little to stop the deteriorating economy, yet a third monetary reform was enacted in late 1993. This third reform was yet but another failure, and on January 1, 1994, yet another reform occured.

Ironically, it was during this hyper-inflationary period, when the currency was worth the least, that the most historical icons appeared on the banknotes.

That's an interesting collection of notes. I can't imagine life in those inflationary times. Wow! You couldn't keep up from day to day.

Neat collection. How long did it take to assemble those?

Not that long, really. I just gradually picked them up here and there over the last 6 months or so, never really putting much effort into getting them. I have the 5,000 dinara that I am still researching, but I still need to find the 10,000 dinara P-129. One of the lesser common of the set. Thanks to MMD for tracking me down the "big one" (P-137) at a very reasonable price. This week I am working on the Croatian dinara series. I am missing 1 piece, which MMD has coming to me, shortly. Once I get it in hand, I will put together a display. They aren't as interesting, as they all have the same obverse for the whole series.

These same designs were used over several different currency issues if I am not mistaken, I have a set that was sent to me from Beograd that is lower denominations, I think the 1000 Dinara was the largest, but as inflation set in, they used the same designs with the larger denominations going into the millions.

These same designs were used over several different currency issues if I am not mistaken, I have a set that was sent to me from Beograd that is lower denominations, I think the 1000 Dinara was the largest, but as inflation set in, they used the same designs with the larger denominations going into the millions.

You are correct. The next series (monetary reform of 1.1.1994) saw many of the same designs, with many less zeroes. Interestingly, beginning with this 1993 series I have shown, the watermarks on the paper are a plain, geometric style design. Prior to this series, the watermarks were images that matched the portraits on the obverses. (child boy, child girl, teen boy, teen girl, Tesla) Coincidentally, the first series of notes from the Srpske Republike (Serbian Bosnia) also used this same paper with the child girl and teen girl watermarks. I am curious if the early Republika Srpska Krajine (Croatian Krajina) also used this paper. I have recently purchased a few of the first series notes, so I will have more information when they arrive later this week.

Archived