CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

Rod, the only reason that I caught the mistake was that you (and your dad) have taught me so well. And if you recall back on page 4 of this thread Grivna1726 posted an example of his 239b and you went into detail about the 239c. I have a good memory and a copy of the Richter book. That's all.

As your #1 Schutzenfest Student I expect my diploma within the week... :ninja:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy New Year everyone! :ninja:

Because I know a couple of you visit my website I wanted to let you know that I have added 20 items to inventory. These twenty items are a diverse group with many white metal pieces, a few paper jetons, silver and bronze medals, and some modern talers.

Please visit my Photo Album page where you can view other shooting medals and many photos taken at the Bern Schützen Museum.

Rod

• 3 weeks later...
Commemorative medal for the Cantonal shooting festival at St Gallen in 1925 by Huguenin.

977612.jpg

Another nice medal Ian! :ninja:

I have the 1928 St. Gallen, also designed by Huguenin.

Instead of a man with a mustache and a rifle, it features a lovely woman with a fancy bonnet.

Why is no one surprised? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Rod Moore called this EF, I thought it was AU, envelope please.....

2757967_007o.jpg

2757967_007r.jpg

Rod called this UNC, I thought it was MS64 or even MS65.....

2757967_008o.jpg

2757967_008r.jpg

Is anyone still wondering why I obtain 99% of my Schutzenfest medals from Rod?

I just wanted to see if they could fit this into a holder.....

2757967_009o.jpg

2757967_009r.jpg

OK, maybe it was cleaned 50 years ago. Big deal. Maybe there are 50 remaining worldwide. Maybe 15.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice medals Kim and Zohar.

Kim, I'm glad my grading was more conservative than NGC's (but close). Grading is a difficult art since it is subjective IMHO. I am happy when my customers are satisfied with their purchases.

Thanks to both of you for posting pics of a few very nice Swiss Schützenfest medals. :ninja:

Rod, you and your dad should be grading Schutzenfest medals for NGC. You have the experience and are experts in the field.

Sarasota is nice this time of year... :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

I just received these, perhaps overgraded. Very pleasing especially last one with mintage of 240.

1893 SWISS SHOOTING R-225b, AE, 45mm BERN - BIEL FEST MS 63 BN

DSCN4571-horz.jpg

DSCN4572-horz.jpg

1863 SWISS SHOOTING R-947b, WM, 52mm NEUCHATEL -CHAUX-D FEST MS 62

DSCN4545-horz.jpg

DSCN4547-horz.jpg

1895 SWISS SHOOTING R-1756d, AE, 45mm ZURICH - WINTERTH FEST MS 66

DSCN4584-horz.jpg

DSCN4583-horz.jpg

1901 SWISS SHOOTING R-879b, AR, 45mm LUZERN FEST MS 64

DSCN4588-horz.jpg

DSCN4590-horz.jpg

Gorgeous!

That design type is always my favorite of the shooters. Is there a common designer?

Zohar - As noted on another forum I don't think any of the new medals are overgraded. They all look spot on to me. Care to offer an opinion Rod?

TDP - The 1901 Luzern was designed by Hans Frei from Basel, one of my favorite Swiss engravers. ALL of his designs are beautiful, and some are actually affordable.

TDP - The 1901 Luzern was designed by Hans Frei from Basel, one of my favorite Swiss engravers. ALL of his designs are beautiful, and some are actually affordable.

Thank you for the answer. I now see his name in front of the bust.... I looked up other designs by him on Google, got to Rod's great site. They aren't all the style I was looking for. I guess I have an affinity to the clean, sharp, but floral helmet motif (I really wish I could describe what I mean). Is there a reason for the motif?

Zohar - As noted on another forum I don't think any of the new medals are overgraded. They all look spot on to me. Care to offer an opinion Rod?

The medals appear to be graded fairly. As we are all keenly aware, it is difficult to see every detail in a photo especially with the lighting of some of these. As I have stated previously, grading of shooting medals by a third party is out of the norm in this collecting field or at least in Europe and at most auctions. Certainly it is not the case here or with Zohars examples. I love to look at shooting medals close up and out side of slabs but I understand why some like and at times prefer slabbing.

Most of all I am very happy to see there is a growing appreciation and group of collectors since for so many years schützenfest medals were only appreciated by a few, relative to coin collecting.