CoinPeople.com

Coinage Not minted in home country?

myron

Having collected US coins all my life, I took it for granted that all countries mint their own coinage. I always had friends going on trips to bring back some coins as souvenirs for me. Recently I learned that all countries do not mint their own coins. This is upsetting to me but is a fact. I have been trying to research where coins of each country are minted but there's little information available on-line. For instance, I learned that Israels' coins are minted in South Korea by KOMSCO. The KOMSCO site admits to minting for other nations but won't tell which. Where can I see a list of countries which mint for themselves and which don't?  It seems they want it kept a secret. Finally, where are the Euros minted, by each member member or are they made elsewhere? Thanks.

I guess that in the future even fewer countries will mint their own coins.

The Norwegian mint was founded back in 1686. In 2003 it was sold to private investors. Norges Bank (The Norwegian Bank) will every fourth year check the market to get the best price for new minting. The Norwegian mint has so far had the best prices, but only time will tell how long they can compete. I know the Norwegian mint also mint coins for other countries but I am not sure for which countries.

There's a list of foreign coins minted in US facilities here; Wikipedia also has a list of foreign countries with coins struck at the Royal Canadian mint.

Just what I need, another category to collect. :D

I believe the reality is, it's just too complicated to look at various relationship.

Take for instance New Zealand. You would think New Zealand has a mint - yes it does but it's a private mint. However all modern Kiwi coinage were struck overseas such as Australia, Canada, South Africa and Norway.

Some unusual list can include the following: China had coins struck in Austria, Germany, Japan. Russia had coins struck in France, Belgium, Japan. List goes on.

I was hoping there was an on-line list of each country and where its coinage is minted. Lots of research must be done. It seems that countries don't advertise that their coinage is minted elsewhere. Only coin collectors would really care. It's like most iPhone owners think their phones are made in the USA as Apple is a USA company but is really manufactured in China. Civil aircraft are manufactured by Boeing near Seattle or in Europe by Airbus; countries like Russia and China fly no aircraft manufactured in their countries; even the designs and logos are painted elswehere.

Apparently even some American planchets (not completed coins, though) have come from the Royal Canadian mint.

It makes a certain amount of sense for British/Empire/Commonwealth mints to have the capability of minting coins for each other; the larger countries like England, India, Canada, Australia and New Zealand have the finances and facilities to operate mints, whereas places like the Seychelles and Nauru pretty much don't.

If there isn't a term for coins struck outside of the country in which they're intended to circulate, there really should be one. Any suggestions?

I was hoping there was an on-line list of each country and where its coinage is minted. Lots of research must be done. It seems that countries don't advertise that their coinage is minted elsewhere. Only coin collectors would really care. It's like most iPhone owners think their phones are made in the USA as Apple is a USA company but is really manufactured in China. Civil aircraft are manufactured by Boeing near Seattle or in Europe by Airbus; countries like Russia and China fly no aircraft manufactured in their countries; even the designs and logos are painted elswehere.

That would be an interesting undertaking as indeed a lot of information is not publicly available, and some countries (say the Dominican Republic) have had coins struck all over the place.

If there isn't a term for coins struck outside of the country in which they're intended to circulate, there really should be one. Any suggestions?

I'm sure the Germans have one....

Hmm... "extra-minted" comes to mind

I'm not sure if you're laughing at the Altoids, or the cobbled-together German noun (which, as I recall, is feminine, though I gave the plural)... :D

Why limit it to "or"?! I was laughing at both!

(also, visited Columbus/OSU for the first time last weekend. Not bad!)

Why limit it to "or"?! I was laughing at both!

(also, visited Columbus/OSU for the first time last weekend. Not bad!)

Did you stop anywhere good for food? I can make several belated recommendations. Katzinger's, Schmidt's, Happy Greek/Mad Greek (not related, but both excellent), Mozart's, Hania's, Indian Oven... heh. And I wonder why biking to and from work every day doesn't reduce my waistline.

Did you stop anywhere good for food? I can make several belated recommendations. Katzinger's, Schmidt's, Happy Greek/Mad Greek (not related, but both excellent), Mozart's, Hania's, Indian Oven... heh. And I wonder why biking to and from work every day doesn't reduce my waistline.

Went to a place called... Panera :P (My girlfriend's parents were driving and we were hurrying up to get back to a county fair.)

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to go on a tangent but as a pilot I must fill you in on the fact that Russia makes plenty of its own aircraft and flies them, as does China at COMAC. Canada and Brazil, Switzerland, Sweden and Italy also make commercial aircraft, and the list can go on. Airbus is starting to make airplanes in the US (Alabama) also, and has a license plant for A320 in China. Boeing makes aircraft in Wichita, kansas, and South Carolina for example.

So it can be as "complicated" as your coin question!

Many of the Euro coins are made in each country's home mint.

Plenty of things are outsourced and not always in the mainstream knowledge base. Texas makes license plates for El Salvador and several other countries for example.

In addition to coins, banknotes are very often made by private companies, like Thomas de la Rue, who makes for many, many states.

Good topic to discuss, thanks for posting.