CoinPeople.com

Numismatique de L'Assurance

I'm a really happy bunny concerning this one. Gailhouste doesn't even have a picture of it in his 1993 book `Numismatique de L'Assurance'.. He does say (very roughly translated from french....) " I haven't found the jeton from this society. Gauvin doesn't mention either the date of its founding or its disappearance".

description: Obverse: a steam boat heading left. `Stern Aumoitte / Paris' in exergue

Reverse:`Compagnie Maritime De La Mediterranee' Oval shield of Marseille on a cartouche capped by a five towered crown. below (the crown) and anchor,caduceus, trident, and other maritime emblems. `Marseille' below.

No dates known for the distribution of this jeton, however the edge marking (hand with pointing finger) indicates it was struck at La Medaille, Paris between 1845-60. First example i've ever come across either in image or in the flesh. Not a particularly `cheap' purchase for this rather tight fisted Scot, but I didn't argue with the price and was more than happy to buy it before the rest of the world became aware it was on the market.

1022506.jpg

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

another relatively hard to find jeton de presence minted for `L'Avenir', a french maritime assurer, and issued the same year as the inauguration of the company (1838). it does not appear that the company survived all that long. No records exist according to Gailhouste.

1022961.jpg

Fascinating! Thanks. Always a pleasure reading your posts, Ian.

I just love this thread, Ian. Especially that last jeton --AVENIR ASSURANCES. :blol: No avenir [future] for this company, if no records exist...

Apparently then the company sank without trace, except for Ian's jeton, despite NEC MARIS IRA MANET( from Ovid's Metamorphoses) being Latin for The anger of the sea subsides.

Apparently then the company sank without trace, except for Ian's jeton, despite NEC MARIS IRA MANET( from Ovid's Metamorphoses) being Latin for The anger of the sea subsides.

Apart from being left with a sinking feeling, it must have looked a bit fishy to the investors (cod forgive me for saying that!). Upon my sole, they must have lost the plaice when the company floundered.

There is (in present time) a Paris based insurance company of the same name but it has no commonalty (other than by name) to the one in question.

Apart from being left with a sinking feeling, it must have looked a bit fishy to the investors (cod forgive me for saying that!). Upon my sole, they must have lost the plaice when the company floundered.

No trout about it, your r-eel whale of a tail has left me f-eeling wobbegong.

Stellar! How high is the relief?

This one, minted for the `Compagnie D'Assurances Generales Contre L'incendie' circa 1910, was engraved by Oscar Roty.

1023079.jpg

• 2 months later...

sorry. i never did respond to you M'sieu LeDeadpoint. The relief is indeed more in keeping with a Swiss shooting medal than the norm for french medals.

here's a jeton that was minted for `La Fortune' a French maritime assurer based in Le Havre in the mid 1800's. Again , i really can't understand why they would use Lady Luck in their marketing. Doesn't indicate investment `management'....and unsurprisingly, the company apparently sank due to a spate of bad luck! :)

1023612.jpg

Try as I might to concentrate on one or two collecting paths, I regret to say that I am promiscuous. Always ready to be distracted by the next pretty face.

These jetons have fascinated me for a long time and now I've finally found one in my price range.

What amazrd me was the weight, slightly heavier than a contemporary 5 franc. I may be hooked. :mf_lust:

jetondassurance_zps75186c95.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This silver jeton was struck in 1867 for the `Societe de Garantie Mutuelle Contre Le Piquage D'Onces', If my understanding is correct, the origins of this `Mutual' lies in the silk industry at Lyon where the society was set up to counter the pilfering of silk. `Piquage D'onces' roughly translates as `pickings in ounces. That is, theft in small amounts to escape detection However, the small amounts all added up to quantities sufficient to warrant action by the various merchants and manufacturers of silk goods.

1024676.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

A lucky purchase on ebay. Seller bundled three jetons together, two of which were fairly common. The third....this one...falls into the scarce as hen's teeth category. Either nobody bothered to look closer at the individual jetons or the world was fast asleep.. Either way i'm a happy bunnie.

The jeton was issued in 1875/6 on the inauguration of the company (L'Assurance Financiere) and went bust in 1896....with little happening of note in between, except business was not good,

1024990.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

another few `jetons de presence'

The first was issued for the french assurer `L'Auxiliaire' which covered risk of accidents in the construction industry

1024403.jpg

The second is one of a number of different types of jeton issued by `La France' covering fire risks

1029773.jpg

The third was an unusual find. Its a rare example of a silver piedfort jeton struck for the Swiss assurance company `La Genevoise' in 1984. Very reminiscent of the quality and depth of strike you see in the swiss shooting medals of that decade. The jeton was engraved by George Hantz and struck in Geneva.

1029772.jpg

• 4 weeks later...