Numismatique de L'Assurance

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Another one added to the collection.......

An example in copper, struck in 1853 for `Le Centre', a french mutual assurance company covering fire risks. the copper examples of these jetons generally carry a higher value than their silver equivalents, most probably due to higher levels of attrition.

1030586.jpg

The F was just for fecit.
Louis Edouard Decourcelle born in Paris 1819. Au Palais-Royal (galerie Montpensir, 40) in 1861.
Louis Edouard Decourcelle born in Paris 1819. Au Palais-Royal (galerie Montpensir, 40) in 1861.
1850 Prix de Rome(scholarship) attended le Ecole des Beaux-Arts.
Decourcelle (Louis Edouard), sculpteur; né à Paris, le 12 mars 1819. — Rue Vivienne, 22. Died 1900
— S. 1851. Portrait de M. D...; médaillon, bronze.
— S. 1852. Portrait de Mlle P. D...; médaillon, plâtre.
— S. 1855. Portrait de Mme Ed. D...; médaillon, marbre.
— S. 1861. Médaille en bronze, pour la C.ie d'Assurances maritimes, la Transatlantique.
—S. 1863. Modèle de la médaille des prix dii collège de Chimay; médaillon, bronze.
— S. 1865. Portrait de Mine L. C...; médaillon, bronze.
— S. 1866. Portrait de M. E. D...; médaillon, bronze. Portraits de M. L. D... et de Mlle P. D...; médaillon, bronze.
—S. 1868. Portrait de M. E. Adam, médaillon, bronze.— Prix pour la navigation de plaisance, modèle de médaille; médaillon, bronze.

From https://books.google.ca/books?pg=PA373&lpg=PA373&dq=prix+de+chimay+Decourcelle&sig=0xVfGesGKPq81aXuxCS4gpe5EuE&ei=HjUMVcykPMuqgwSS-YHoBw&id=VIsZAAAAYAAJ&ots=QB4MsOLmR8#v=onepage&q&f=false

Brilliant! That was quick. Boy, you're good. :)

I'm sure i've got a jeton/medalet stashed away somewhere for `La Transatlantique'. Not sure if its the one mentioned (ie by Decourcelle) I'll dig it out and scan it anyway.

Many thanks for the links.

Brilliant! That was quick. Boy, you're good. :)

I'm sure i've got a jeton/medalet stashed away somewhere for `La Transatlantique'. Not sure if its the one mentioned (ie by Decourcelle) I'll dig it out and scan it anyway.

Many thanks for the links.

From Ian's collection! I saw this when I was doing the search :bgreen:

957777.jpg

Scarcer jeton de presence issued for `La Transatlantique', one of France's maritime assurers. Engraved by F Decourcelle :bthumbsup:

Also from Ian's collection.

993942.jpg

Another maybe?

993938.jpg

You have a great collection Ian, best wishes Pat :friends:

Edit;

http://www.cgb.fr/assurances-la-societe-dassurance-maritime-bordeaux-,fjt_04319,a.html

VOS INDUSTRIA ME SECURITAS ; à l'exergue : 2 JUIN 1863 .

Un trois-mâts sur les flots. Signé DECOURCELLE F .

:doh: Doh! At times like this it appears that i've forgotten more than I remember about my own collection. As usual, my hat is off to you.

BTW that last copper one was engraved by Eugene Andre Oudine, a remarkable artist who is also noted for his depiction of Ceres on the obverse of the silver 5 francs of 1849-51 and again 1870-71.

Thanks again Pat.

Gosh. Time does indeed fly. Have just refreshed my memory by re-reading that thread you started. Another excellent example of your sleuthing skills.

If you perchance collect french coinage, and in particular the 5 francs of 1849-51 / 1870-71 you might have noticed that the accent above the `E' in Oudine is oft times notable by its absence (from the actual coins in my possession it is basically a 50 /50 split). Possibly caused by die filling, but also possibly due to die error. A notable french numismatist that I mentioned this to hadn't noticed this. I never did follow up on it and besides, my collecting interests shifted more towards jetons......

• 3 weeks later...

This jeton was struck for `L'Unite', a company which appears to have acted as a credit source and banking arm for the french assurance industry. It had a number of branches throughout France and there are jetons specific to each branch, all having the obverse by Montagny is common. This particular example was struck for the branch at St Quentin in 1846.

1030741.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

jeton struck for`L'Alliance a french assurance company providing cover against the risk of fire and transportation

1032967.jpg

Great looking piece Ian.

• 1 month later...

silver jeton struck for `La Meridionale', a maritime assurer that was based in Bordeaux

1033755.jpg

That is a really neat jeton Ian. I like the design on both sides.

Have to agree. The marine assurance ones are my favourites.

Sadly some of the eye catchers are also pretty rare, and are a challenge to my meagre budget. However i have done not too bad of late :)

Here's one that arrived with me just a couple of days ago

1033767.jpg

A bit more worn than most of the others in my collection,.............. but it was within my price range. Will still be eating sawdust this month however :)

This one was issued for `La Sphere', another french maritime assurer based in Paris. There were two jeton types issued, both with the same ship / harbour reverse. The one I don't have a copy of has the globe obverse, but without the peop's either side

1033798.jpg