CoinPeople.com

1957 D nickel

1957 D Nickel struck on unknown planchet. It has a slightly smaller diameter and thinner then normal nickel. I assume its struck on a foreign coin planchet. Just don't have any clue to what planchet it would have come from. Any ideas what countries the mint was running coins for at the time?

922448.jpg

1957 D Nickel struck on unknown planchet. It has a slightly smaller diameter and thinner then normal nickel. I assume its struck on a foreign coin planchet. Just don't have any clue to what planchet it would have come from. Any ideas what countries the mint was running coins for at the time?

922448.jpg

Heritage

These are the ones that have been sold there. Doesn't look like there is one like yours though.

Here's a really nice overview of the foreign coins minted by the US-mints.

http://minterrornews.com/news-5-13-03-fore...n_the_mint.html

Regards

Jos

Thank you very much for the links. From the minterrornews link I found a possibility. It looks like it could be a El Salvador 5 centavos. I'll try to get some info on its weight and size to see if they match.

The mark on the reverse appears to be a hit mark. Under magnification it appears to have a slight rise around it. As to acid I'm not sure, but against a new nickel its real close to half the thickness. So I'm not real sure but it does not seem like that much metal removed by acid would leave any lettering. Also just noticed the picture may not be the best possible on color. The reverse picture appears a little green on my monitor but actually is the same gray as the obverse.

if you look at the reverse... from those pictures it does appear that a lot of the lettering is gone... speaking from experience here every off metal I have seen has had a lot of detail to it... the modern ones never circulate long...vending machines kick them out... and sorting machines at banks kick them out too... I have rarely seen one missing as much detail as the coin posted. Is their any chance to get a few pics of the edge of the coin? what you will want to look for there is at the 3 o clock position of the obverse... that area appears to be the closest part of the coin to the collar.... if that part of the coin is of normal thickness then it dosen't rule out an off metal as that part of the planchet should have been touching the collar.. if it is thin... that will about %99 rule out an off metal strike... honestly i still think its an acid job :ninja: the mark on the back looks like a place where acid started to break through the surfiace of the coin...

• 11 months later...

Bringing this one back up. I had a chance to get the nickel PMI'ed out at work. (Non-destructive composition metal testing) Anyways just wondering if this was in acceptable range on metal found in nickels. It turned up 73.82 copper, 26.71 nickel, .4 magnesium. From info I have it should be 75% copper and 25% nickel.

• 13 years later...