CoinPeople.com

Finding 1967 centennial coinage in circulation

ccg

Arguably one of the best circulation sets issued anywhere, these coins are interesting still possible to find in circulation:

[pics courtesy of Auldfartte]

894737.jpg

895095.jpg

895101.jpg

895105.jpg

The easiest is the cent. The lowly cent is always forgotten. Well, that and since they usually tone brown in circulation, they don't really stand out. Expect to find a few of these every year, if not more simply by looking in your change (in Canada). Pieces I've come across grade from F-AU

5c - Probably due to its larger size, and small face value, it is a very tough piece to find in circulation. I have yet to find any myself, and only know of one person (amongst friends and family) who have found one in the past 10 years! I suspect many of the 5c were saved quickly, as most of the circulated ones I do see (in stores, etc) grade AU, with about 10-20% EF, and very few less than that.

10c - It's silver, so like other silver coins, most are long gone from circulation. But like the cent, the small size means it can be missed over the years. I have found two in the past decade. One was VG and the other VF. The first one likely stayed in circulation the whole time, while the second probably was saved, and sometime released back.

25c - Largest silver coin that could still be found circulating in Canada. Any silver 25c is very tough to get, so that makes this probably the toughest one to get. I know of one person working at a conveience store who recieved one in EF, and that piece was likely spent by someone desperate for cigarettes (happens often), or "liberated" it from a collection. (intentionally by owner, or more likely stolen)

Why did Bank of Canada do the 1867-1967 serial number thing on some of the $1 bills, but not all of them?

Good question. The 1967 series $1 basically is a subset of the 1954 series $1, with the same serial numbers (in series, picking up where printing left off in 1966). Of note, the regular serialed 1967 $1s were exclusively distributed that year (ie. The Bank of Canada did not issue 1954 series $1). Additionally, I believe that the non-serialed $1s were only available directly from the Bank of Canada itself*. 12 million of the non-serialed $1s were printed.

Well, that still doesn't really answer the question. My best guess would be that it's something more special for the public to keep. So perhaps if someone has some 1967 coin sets, they could add a $1 note to them, and since the notes don't have a s/n, the sets could all be identical.

*Like other circulation notes and coins, I'm pretty sure that there were some that were put into the regular banking channels.

I just think it is peculiar to issue banknotes without serial numbers, but dates only. It is also curious that it was a one off commemoration, whilst RCM has milked the commemoration thing to the extent of near abuse, the BoC has not ever issued another commemorative since.

In fact they only ever issued one other I think, the 25th anniversary of GVI with the $25 bill in 1935.

I just think it is peculiar to issue banknotes without serial numbers, but dates only. It is also curious that it was a one off commemoration, whilst RCM has milked the commemoration thing to the extent of near abuse, the BoC has not ever issued another commemorative since.

In fact they only ever issued one other I think, the 25th anniversary of GVI with the $25 bill in 1935.

I definately agree with that. After all, notes are serialed so they can be kept track of as they are deemed to be of higher value than coins, which do not need to be kept track of as much. (And of course coins used to be based on intrinsic value, so no need to keep track of them anyways as their value was not based on trust of fiat)

You are correct in that there are only two Canadian commemorative bank notes. One could say that there are four ('35 $25 English, French, '67 $1 s/n and no s/n), to stretch it. But generally speaking, commemorative banknotes are something not to be taken lightly as you don't want to change the (larger denomination) currency too much to avoid problems (internally with the people and externally with foreign exchange. Also raised possibilities for counterfeiting). That's probably a huge reason why virtually no central bank issues commemorative notes on a regular basis.

Coins on the other hand, are not subject to counterfeiting nearly as much as notes are. Additionally, they're more likely to be saved (affordability), and they are generally accepted without questioning, which makes it easier to produce commems and put them into circulation. (If it's the size and color of a quarter, it usually passes as a quarter, let it be a Dutch Guilder, Swiss Franc, Japanese 100 Yen, British 10 Pence, or whatever else.)

Royal Bank and Clydesdale Bank in Scotland issue many commemorative issues, curiously enough so does Bank of China - I saw lots of them for sale there, but none in circulation of course.

The French version of the $25 bill is one of the premier banknote rarities in Canadian banknotes. Along with the $4 with the American locks on it from 1900.

Interesting, I was not aware that the Bank of China did commems, I've only seen the millenium 100 yuan.

The Scottish notes I don't care much for since it's basically private advertising :ninja:

• 1 year later...
Good question. The 1967 series $1 basically is a subset of the 1954 series $1, with the same serial numbers (in series, picking up where printing left off in 1966). Of note, the regular serialed 1967 $1s were exclusively distributed that year (ie. The Bank of Canada did not issue 1954 series $1). Additionally, I believe that the non-serialed $1s were only available directly from the Bank of Canada itself*. 12 million of the non-serialed $1s were printed.

Well, that still doesn't really answer the question. My best guess would be that it's something more special for the public to keep. So perhaps if someone has some 1967 coin sets, they could add a $1 note to them, and since the notes don't have a s/n, the sets could all be identical.

*Like other circulation notes and coins, I'm pretty sure that there were some that were put into the regular banking channels.

The Double dated $1 from the 1967 issue were printed to commemorate Canadas' 100th anniversary of Confederation, they were given out on Canada Day July 1st. 1967 in Ottawa, our Nations capital.

I find the 1c all the time, and have even managed to find a few with mint luster on them, but they rae few and far between.

I've managed about 7-9 of the 5c commemoratives, but only one has come from circulation, the rest have come from roll-hunting. I have yet to find one in poor shape. They are all in very good shape, as they were probably saved, and finally spent when the owner found they weren't really worth more than 5c each.

Dimes - I found one in a roll at the register at an old job once (along with a 1964 dime). So while it was headed for circulation, I caught it before it got loose. :ninja:

Quarters - the only one I've managed was given to me by a bartender friend who got it as a tip. I have only found one silver quarter in circulation.

I did not know that this set was released in July... Being born in July 1967 seems that I must have one. It's time to browse ebay.ca ...

You especially need the silver dollar. If you are really interested in this set, PLMK I can get them very easily and cheaply, since I live just on the right side of the border where these things are not quite as pricey.

You especially need the silver dollar. If you are really interested in this set, PLMK I can get them very easily and cheaply, since I live just on the right side of the border where these things are not quite as pricey.

Thank you Scottishmoney, but I have this on the way: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...:EOIBSA:CA:1123

Archived