CoinPeople.com

Constans

Ian

I'm not certain, but I think this one might be a centenionalis of Constans (341-346 AD).

The obverse sports a fine bust of the gentleman concerned. The reverse is legible with Vot xx Mult xxx in four lines. I think the exergue relates top Constantinople, but i'm not 100% on that.

It's a slow day....i'm digging out coins i've had for years waiting to find out what on earth they might be :ninja:

912534.jpg

I don't know if you have access to Rotographics excelent 'Roman Base Metal Coins' but your coin is entry CRB515 Obverse C. ( I'm assuming I can see PFAVG in the legend?)

Wildwinds has an example here as Constantinople issue

_constantinople_RIC_vII_070.jpg

I don't know if you have access to Rotographics excelent 'Roman Base Metal Coins' but your coin is entry CRB515 Obverse C. ( I'm assuming I can see PFAVG in the legend?)

Yes. PF Aug, and yes it's RIC VII 70.

I've never come across the book you mentioned before, but having looked at the web page for it, it would appear that it could well be pretty useful for my simple purposes.....and at £6 it could be well worth it. It took me ages to attribute it Constans, let alone anything else using Sears `Roman Coins and Their Values' (4th edition 1988) . :-)

Does it also provide cross reference to other catalogues (ie RIC VII 70) or just use its own unique referencing system?

Ian

It's a product from Chris Perkins (Predecimal website) and is line drawings of the Roman minor Base metal, useful for identification. No, it does not cross refer. There is a companion book ' Roman Silver coins - a price guide' from the same stable. In case you dont view Predecimal you'll find it at

http://www.predecimal.com/forum/ :ninja:

Archived