CoinPeople.com

Pope Adrian VI?

Ian

I'm totally unsure of this one. Pope Adrian VI is the only person I can think of that potentially fits the bill for this item. I'm not sure either whether the 4 (reverse, to right of shield) is part of the date (left hand side is obliterated) or is a denomination. I suspect it's the date.

Obverse legend reads: Adrian de Ried. E. S. (Pope Adrian VI was a dutchman)

Reverse legend reads: Praef. Et. Com Reip Val (papal state?)

Anyone got the appropriate reference book?

912513.jpg

I'd look for a place with the coat of arms featuring a clover leaf

Lol!

Oh believe me when i say i've been down that road already. Reichertsheim, Hannover, Talllinn, Cleves, Fuerth, Vestfold.....to name but a few places with a clover leaf coat of arms. All dead end streets. No doubt i'll (embarassingly) be missing the obvious but neither name, legend or crest has lead me to any positive ID of this one.

Neat coin. I "googled" the legends and came up with nothing. I've had some luck doing that with other coins, but not with this coin. It certainly looks like one of the German States. Very similar style if it isn't.

Neat coin. I "googled" the legends and came up with nothing. I've had some luck doing that with other coins, but not with this coin. It certainly looks like one of the German States. Very similar style if it isn't.

I'm still not sure that it is a coin. It is wafer thin like mediaeval coinage of the time but in almost `too good to be true' condition to have been struck in the 1500's....... Not that i'd complain if it was. :ninja:

Knowing my luck it will turn out to be an Irish Readers Digest token issued in 1994 :lol:

Archived