CoinPeople.com

1762 MMD Rouble

IlyaE

I don't know if it is real or not. I don't see anything that is obviously false.

What is interesting to me is the seller's feedback record.

If you look at the seller's past transactions, this is the first coin offered for sale on ebay. All existing feedback is for purchases.

What is striking about the purchases which still have an active link is their apparently aimless character. There are medals, notgeld, paper money, individual coins of various European countries and bulk lots of 20th century coins from Europe, Central and South America, even a US piece. Nothing about this suggests any form of systematic collecting.

Also, I couldn't find a single purchase which exceeded $50.00 and most of what I did see was far below that amount.

Now, the very first coin offered, is a very high grade 18th century ruble which you might normally expect to see in an advanced collection or offered in a major auction and could expect to bring several hundred dollars.

I don't know what all that means, but I find it odd.

Whether you bid or not is up to you. I don't see anything obviously fake, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is real. When I'm in doubt about something, I just don't bid, especially if it is for a coin valued in the hundreds of dollars.

Who knows, this seller might have lost interest with his Russian coin collection or inherited it and didn't want it and hence selling it to finance his other collections. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me if that is the case. Afterall now is a good time to sell Russian coins. (as well as bad time for me to buy :ninja: )

Rarity wise, Uzedenikov didn't mention it as rare or such. If I was going to counterfeit a profitable ruble, I would be counterfeiting a Peter III ruble.

Indeed, I do see some issues with the wear on the ruble, but again that will not stop people from bidding to some insane levels. At this current moment, it's already over 100 dollars. I am not too willing to gamble on such though, unless it was from a dealer that I know well enough.

By far from my area of knowledge, but I have seen my share. This looks just too clean for me -no wear or marks of any kind. For Russian coins of this age I find such samples to be very uncommon.

I could be wrong but personally, I would go nowhere near this one.

For comparison purposes, here is a scan of a 1763 ММД ruble of Catherine II. This one is real and it is an original strike, not a novodel.

This coin has been overstruck on a ruble of Peter III (1762). You can see traces of his cuirassed portrait underneath Catherine's, with the curved shoulder portion of his armor breastplate most easily visible. On the reverse, traces of the earlier eagle are visible, particularly in the tailfeathers and the arms on the eagle's breast.

It is not easily seen in the scan, but the coin has also been re-edged prior to being overstruck with Catherine's dies. The coin has the familiar serrated edge applied over the earlier lettered edge.

post-383-1147387059.jpg

1763R_overstruck_PeterIII.jpg

Archived