CoinPeople.com

French-American influences on American coins

bill

Ian posed a question about the influence of the French on American coins at the birth of US coinage in the 1790s (see post in the US Coppers forum). The two countries definitely exchanged influences in the course of their respective revolutions and these take the form of rejection of regal portraiture, new themes (Science and Industry, Liberty - Equality, etc), and an eventual return to classic forms to establish legitimacy for the new governments.

Even though I was ill prepared to answer Ian's question, the new ANA Journal arrived last week and I finally had a chance to read an article or two. ANA museum curator, Douglas Mudd, authored an article entitled "Image & Republican Sovereignity." It doesn't answer the question directly, but its an interesting piece of the equation, along with the exchange of ideas between the revolutionary thinkers and artists in the two countries, the attempt to found a new, simplified currency based on the decimal system, etc.

The journal includes five of the Sundman lecturers from the 2005 ANA convention. The articles are scholarly and peer reviewed. The volume is well produced, although the cover sttock is a bit light weight for a $65/year subscription price for a quarterly journal.

Thanks for the info. I've been curious about this journal since it was announced. I'll have to borrow a few issues before I decide if I want to subscribe.

Thanks for the info. I've been curious about this journal since it was announced. I'll have to borrow a few issues before I decide if I want to subscribe.

I as well. Though I might buy a copy to see for myself. The topics at least sound interesting.

I as well.  Though I might buy a copy to see for myself.  The topics at least sound interesting.

I haven't seen anything about individual copies being available. Have you?

I haven't seen anything about individual copies being available. Have you?

Yes, you can order the first issue singly.

ANA Journal

Archived