CoinPeople.com

Korean coinage under the Japanese protractate era

gxseries

During the early days of most Asian coins, most of them would have been similar to the Chinese spade hole coins. Korea, is no exception as her coinages have been influenced by China. But during the Japanese invasion of Korea, Korea's coinage have been much influenced by the Meiji style coinages. Some coins were actually minted in the same planchets during the beginning of such coinages in Osaka mint. Some of the best examples known are the 1892 silver 5 yang, and the other gold coins of 5, 10 and 20 won (these are EXTREMELY scarce!!! - a set of this went over USD180,000 6 years ago :ninja:)

Some examples can be seen here at this auctions: Link

One interesting pattern coin if you looked hard, which seems awfully similar to the Russian Imperial coinage - yes, the double (well single in this case) head eagle + crown instead of dragons if you noticed!!! Indeed, it is no lies that a set of such were made by a Russian mintmaster :cry: Appearently, the story goes like this: during a short period of time, when the Koreans opened a mint in Russia, temporarily coinages were need for that particular bank. What is ironic is that it is rumored that bank was closed down right after opening its operation there after a month. Hence such pattern coinages were never circulated.

And here are some of mine, although not of the best examples:

901677.jpg

901843.jpg

905717.jpg

Some of the more interesting aspects of this is of the copper 5 fun coinages. Some of them end up to be overstriked to some Chinese copper coins that I am not too sure of, but I have seen a few examples of such. I am not too sure what it is done, but so far gathered that most of them were unoffically done.

Most definately a difficult type set to complete if you are aiming for XF+ or the gold coinages ;)

Eagleeye, aren't you going to attempt this set up one day? :lol:

Yes gx, it will "definately" go on my to-do list. Anything Asain makes me drool.....but i've always had a facination with Japanese stuff so it's at the top of the list as far as world stuff for me. The abundance of my collection is still good ol' US........ :lol:

I've actually been offered a couple of the copper 1 Chon pieces there in the recent weeks but was'nt able to take due to price, :cry: so i see as how it can be a difficult little set to work on... I like the ones that you have there, and i wish you good luck on your set gx. :ninja:

Archived