CoinPeople.com

1964 Encased Cent

bill

After blowing my budget on a Celt-Iberian bronze at the Santa Clara Coin Show, I picked up a few aluminum tokens for my aluminum collection. One nice surprise was an encased 1964 cent.

910186.jpg

I did not know H.L. Kaplun myself, but his shop was bought by another dealer about 1970-71 and became New Horizons Coin Shop. The New Horizons dealer started out with a table in a local jewelry store in Goleta, CA. I bought an engagement ring from the jewelry store because thats where I went to buy coins. When I won the ANA's Young Numismatist award, Coin World had the award as its headline story (much to my pleasant surprise). I learned that fact and got a copy of the paper when I visited New Horizons (by then at the Anacapa St. shop). They had saved a copy for me.

The cent shows the impacts of the machinery used to encase and stamp the token, so it was definitely encased and then stamped. The manufacturer's name appears in tiny letters on the reverse: EARL FANKMAUSES FT WAYNE I

A nice piece for my aluminum collection, a coin dealer token, and it brings back good collecting memories. A great three-fer.

Very nice. These were fairly common when I was a kid. You don't see them "in circulation" much anymore.

Archived