My First Coin Show

bobbycoin

VERDUGO HILLS COIN CLUB SHOW - Apr 9

http://www.coinpeople.com/calendar.html&co...vent&eventid=53

A local event I fount here: http://www.coinshows.com/california_s.html

This will be my first coin show!

;)

-Bobby

Im off in about 30 min to my fist coin show!

;)

Prob just be lookin' around. Not going to do any major buying. I'll report when I get back.

:ninja::lol:;);):cry:

-Bobby

Prob just be lookin' around. Not going to do any major buying. I'll report when I get back.

:ninja:

Well I have to say overall this was disappointing. We walked in and there was a table setup to take the entry fee ($1). No problem I paid and the lady gave us name tags. She offered no information about the door prizes. I moved on.

I think what most got me was that every other trade type show I have EVER been to all you have to do is walk by a table and someone is talking to you.

"Hello"

"How are you today?"

"Can I help you find anything in particular today?"

"Want to try this?"

This place... no... The first table in the doors is a raffle. A piece of paper on the table with prices and an unhappy looking older gentleman sat behind the table motionless. I turn to see an overview of where I am... Great I'm the youngest in the place by at least 10 years. The next thing I notice is the size of the place. I don't know what I expected going to a Masonic lodge but I think I expected more then 25 tables in a 25' x 25' room.

I walked around once just to get an overview of what was here. Lots and lots of Morgans, some world boxes, one place with some supplies. That took about 5 minutes. By this point Cheryl was done and went outside to walk around with Arwen.

75% of the tables were higher grade stuff and didn't interest me. Maybe thats it, are shows more for Higher grade stuff? I did find one guy that had the bins that I love but nothing that caught my eye. But looking through his Misc metals album I found two metals with the Liberty Bell and and ANA metal with a small morgan head design on the front. Cheap ebay prices without the shipping :ninja: I also dug through some foreign coins that a gentlemen had sorted by continent in Cigar boxes. I purchased 13 for $2, he gave me a great deal.

I was done, it was boring.

I ran back inside after going out to get some fresh air and talk to Cheryl. I purchased 2 14 inch double row 2x2 boxes that I needed. I grabbed a couple old Coin Worlds, they had stacks that they were giving away, and we left.

As I drove off I was like... blah. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind, maybe it was just me and the day I was having. Maybe it was because it was a small show and I had the expectations of a big one. I'm sure the Anaheim Expo will be different.

I think my main problem was I didn't have a list of what I wanted to buy. I had my redbook with all my notes so I knew what I needed, I just didn't have a plan on what I was searching for. Maybe it was my aimlessness that lead me to be dissatisfied.

Oh well, Next month on to Anaheim!

-Bobby

Great I'm the youngest in the place by at least 10 years. The next thing I notice is the size of the place. I don't know what I expected going to a Masonic lodge but I think I expected more then 25 tables in a 25' x 25' room.

I think my main problem was I didn't have a list of what I wanted to buy. I had my redbook with all my notes so I knew what I needed, I just didn't have a plan on what I was searching for. Maybe it was my aimlessness that lead me to be dissatisfied.

Oh well, Next month on to Anaheim!

-Bobby

That is how I feel, except instead of 10 years it's more like 20 for me! The MSNS show was the first time I've been around buyers younger than myself. Many were MAYBE in their teens, which is fantastic to see. One was explaining to his friend/brother how to somewhat grade IHC. I made one of these faces at Erica: :ninja:

Sounds like the show didn't meet your expectations in the size area. Although I really enjoyed my first large show, I find the smaller ones more "fun". No rush, no crowds, no pushing, and dealers are normally a bit more friendly.

I never bring a list with me. I tried it once and felt like it was limiting my search. If there were Morgans on the list, my eyes tended to only look at those. For specialty collectors thats fine but for me, no thanks.

Hopefully Anaheim is better for you. You may be one of those people that thrive at large shows. Just don't give up :lol:

Archived