CoinPeople.com

Czar Nicholas II Monarch Ruble... or medal

gxseries

Something I didn't know - while I have seen the silver and gold existance, never have I heard of it's Platinum existance! :ninja:

Gold and Silver

Platinum

:lol:

I believe I have seen a 2oz silver and 1oz copper but I could be daydreaming.

Can someone else confirm what they are supposed to be? :cry:

Also, note of the 1oz silver, while 1oz of silver coins striked for commemorative coins is normal, never was there a moment was 1 full oz of other precious metals was used to strike commemorative coins during the Soviet era, so it might be for medal purposes.

Since the issue date is given as 1989, they obviously aren't official Soviet production. If they are genuine as to the metal content and purity, I would imagine that they were perhaps minted somewhere outside of Russia. But how trustworthy is the documentation or certificate shown?

I am quite sure they are official mint products, except the current pics don't allow us to view better. I think it is a bit wrong to say that the Soviets didn't have the technology by 1989. Remember the Moscow Olympics of the 80 when the Soviets first had the chance to mint commemorative coins for the first time, gold and silver in .900 but platinum in .9993.

Both Moscow and Leningrad Mint struck such coins, although the Leningrad Mint had the facilities to strike all sorts of coins, including platinum coins, whereas Moscow mint could just handle silver and gold.

I do have a batch of 5oz silver medals that Leningrad Mint has struck from 87 to 88, which is pretty interesting so I am not too suprised if Leningrad mint did such medals.

They are rubbish! Never buy such ugly junk :ninja:

And the price.. My God! Why to buy that kind of stuff, when you can get beautifull REAL coins and medals for the same amount of money - and for a lot less.

And do you really think that they would have made imperial memorabilia in the Soviet Union?

I am quite sure they are official mint products
In 1989, with those political motifs of resurrecting tsardom?? :ninja:

I think it is a bit wrong to say that the Soviets didn't have the technology by 1989.
Did I say that? :lol:

In 1989, with those political motifs of resurrecting tsardom?? :ninja:

Yeah, mr. Gorbachov woul'd have surely liked that :lol:

EDIT:

I think it is a bit wrong to say that the Soviets didn't have the technology by 1989.

Nobody said that.

Ofcourse Soviets had the technology.. They were first to go to the space! - poor Laika. That's one thing we'd need to discuss in the debates-forum.

These coins are fantasies, apparently produced at the request of an emigre organization.

The auction description says "These magnificent coins were the first coins depicting Czar Nicholas II and commemorate 60 years of fighting to remove Communism in Russia and to restore Monarchy."

It is highly unlikely that the Soviet government would have supported efforts to remove Communism and restore the Monarchy in Russia.

The "Russian Imperial Union Order" mentioned in the auction has a website located at www.riuo.org.

According to their bylaws (found at www.riuo.org/bylaws/bylaws.html), they are "A New Jersey Nonprofit Corporation" that "was originally founded by Russian emigres in Paris, France in 1929".

See also

www.usns.info/pdf/Atalaya_1990_31.pdf

www.usns.info/pdf/Atalaya_1991_34.pdf

www.usns.info/pdf/Atalaya_1993_37_a.pdf

Archived