CoinPeople.com

Spitzbergen.

Guest Aidan Work

Guest Aidan Work

Here's a section for those interested in the numismatic history of Spitzbergen,which

is a group of Norwegian-owned islands that have been mined by Arktikugol,a Russian mining company.Arktikugol have issued some token coins,most notably in 1946,1993,& 1998.

Aidan.

Hmm, Aidan just wrote that this company "issued" those things, not that it actually minted them. Perfectly OK except that I would classify them as something in between tokens and phantasy pieces but not really coins.

Christian

1946 and 1993-issues were real coins (or tokens) which really circulated in Spitzbegen.

The 1998 issue is purely a fantasy issue and has nothing to do with Arktikugol. The tokens were illegalized by the norwegians in 1993, and since then there are only fantasy coins made only for collectors, not for real use.

Nevertheless, I still don't understand how Spitzbergen coins are minted accordingly to demand. It seems that for the recent commemorative issues, the Saint Petersburg mint produces only 1001 commemorative coins maximum at any stage, and honestly, I cannot understand to who they are marketed or rather why such an odd mintage. There are two ultra scarce 1kg spitzbergen kilo silver coin minted, but that is supposely trial strikes. For what purposes, we don't know.

YES I FOUND THE LINK FOR THAT TRIAL COIN!

Trial kilo silver Spitzbergen coin lol @ 9/11

The recent reverse Spitzbergen coins are usually minted about the world events, probably telling people at Spitzbergen how events are occuring around the world... :ninja:

Images can be found at http://www.chervonets.com and under rarities, and keep on hitting next... eventually you will find them.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Aidan Work

There are some Spitzbergen pieces listed in the new 2005 edition of the Krause Unusual World Coins catalogue.This includes the 10 Roubles commemorating the September 11th terrorist attacks in New York.It is a very bazarre commemorative depicting the moment that the second plane hit the Twin Towers.

Aidan.