CoinPeople.com

Morgan Vam question

Mark Stilson

While looking thru my morgans and seeing if any matched up to a vam. I noted a "1896 O VAM 4 Designer's Initial M" and the picture shown appeared to be the normal m at the base of the neck. Can anyone shed a light on this?

Just spotted this one also. 1899 O VAM 32 Designer's Initial M. Is it outward instead of in?

In the book that I have, the VAM-4 of the 1896-O date is the micro O mintmark reverse. This is a very rare die variety and the book says that the ones found have akll been lower grade circulated coins. In the recent past, I seem to remember hearing that some dates of the micro O variety have been proven to be counterfeit, but I'm not sure which ones they are. Check out the link titled "The Vam Book Update" on this page, perhaps it can be of some help...link.

Looks like I'm going to have fun with this one. :ninja::lol: I ran thru my magnifying glasses up to a 50x to try to find those marks the mentioned. And everything looks smooth.

One side note I found a 1897 O vam 6a. But the crack is not developed. It does have the triangle crack in the exact same position.

Archived