CoinPeople.com

Info needed

SlavicScott

Yet again, I find myself wandering off into the early Russian notes, which I know virtually nothing about. But I find these notes too beautiful and too fascinating to pass up. I have this one lined up on eBay, put in a token bid, just to remind of where it is.

Before I get into any kind of serious bidding, I just want to know some basic information on it. Pick number, catalog value, etc.

18_1_b.JPG

Anybody have a clue?? I looked through Ron Wise's site, but didn't see it.

I don't have my catalogue here at work, but I will look it up this evening for you if no-one else gets to it. I know it is a specialized issue - local note. I don't catalogue my notes by Pick #'s, as when I started collecting, everyone was grousing about the fact that the numbers had changed on many of the notes due to a massive update in the catalogues - I have been trying to avoid that, but I don't know how long I can keep away from it!

As I recall, I spent a couple dollars on mine a few years ago... one of my first Russian notes. When I got the catalogue, it was listed for 0.40 in UNC condition. Of course, you'll never find them for that cheap! Frankly, I have been very fond of this note - it's huge, has ornate, intricate engravings, a nice design, etc.

Pick S419 Year 1919 5000 Rubles

There are 4 varieties:

a. W/o watermark- y. Series#. 0.40 VG 1.75 VF 4.50 UNC

b. Gray Paper w/o watermark - y. Serial #. 0.50 VG 1.75 VF 5.00 UNC

c. Wmk: Monogram - A. 0.40 VG 1.50 VF 4.00 UNC

d. Wmk: Mosaic - (backwards capital R) 0.40 VG 1.50 VF 4.00 UNC

It's a P-S419 5,000 Rubles from 1919. There is a pic on Ron Wise's website but after clicking on Russia, you have to choose Specialized issue.

Sorry but I don't know anything else about it.

:ninja: Without actually looking carefully enough to the picture, I just took the seller's word that it was a 500 ruble note, which is why I couldn't find it on Ron Wise's site.

¡Hola!

Pick S419 Year 1919 5000 Rubles

There are 4 varieties: 

a.  W/o watermark- y.  Series#.                    0.40 VG    1.75 VF    4.50 UNC

b.  Gray Paper w/o watermark - y. Serial #.  0.50 VG    1.75 VF  5.00 UNC

c.    Wmk: Monogram - A.                              0.40 VG    1.50 VF  4.00 UNC

d.  Wmk: Mosaic - (backwards capital R)        0.40 VG    1.50 VF    4.00 UNC

Let's see the catalog values in the newer issue, SCWPM I, 10th edition:

a. W/o watermark- y. Series#. 1.00 VG 3.00 VF 9.00 UNC

b. Gray Paper w/o watermark - y. Serial #. 1.00 VG 3.00 VF 9.00 UNC

c. Wmk: Monogram - A. 1.00 VG 3.00 VF 8.00 UNC

d. Wmk: Mosaic - (backwards capital R) 1.00 VG 3.00 VF 8.00 UNC

Adíos

Ronny

¡Hola!

Let's see the catalog values in the newer issue, SCWPM I, 10th edition:

a.  W/o watermark- y.  Series#.                    1.00 VG    3.00 VF    9.00 UNC

b.  Gray Paper w/o watermark - y. Serial #.  1.00 VG    3.00 VF  9.00 UNC

c.    Wmk: Monogram - A.                              1.00 VG    3.00 VF  8.00 UNC

d.  Wmk: Mosaic - (backwards capital R)        1.00 VG    3.00 VF    8.00 UNC

Adíos

Ronny

Wow!

What a difference two editions makes! - especially in pricing. That's pretty neat to see the difference. I usually wait to update the specialized and gerneral issues a few years.... guess I might have to reconsider.

¡Hola!

I believe the differences between the previous and the actual "Modern Issues" (it's the 3rd part of the Pick-catalogs) are bigger. Maybe that's why the prices change faster than older banknotes?

If I remember correctly: the only falling prices I've found at the actual banknotes from Afghanistan. All others didn't change or went up…

Adíos

Ronny

Archived