CoinPeople.com

A couple of medals

I really like the second one, especially the reverse :ninja:

I've got the Gneva one in silver and bronze. Both are definitely blemish free and `uncirculated', but the bronze one is definitely a higher profile than the silver one. The only reason I know this is that the silver one fits snuggly into a capsule I have but the bronze one refuses to do so. Any data on this, or is it just `one of those things'?

Ian

Hi Ian,

To answer your question; the bronze does not have higher relief rather it was struck on a thicker planchet. For example, the silver medal is approx. 3 mm thick while the bronze is approx. 4.5 mm thick. The die used for the medals was the same but the planchets were different.

Some further information regarding M330 - Geneva 1887

Gold mintage: 12 (70 g)

Silver mintage: 3903

Bronze mintage: 4354

and there was a White metal version also.

45 mm in diameter

Thanks for that.

That explains and solves what had been puzzling me. So the planchet was deliberately thicker to commence with. That however raises further questions.....such as why? :ninja:

It must be a trick of the eye but I would (almost) swear that the bronze has more depth of field than the silver.

Is this difference in thickness between Ag and Ae medals a common feature of Swiss shooting medals? I don't have any other examples to compare with (so far).

Ian

First most "bronze" Swiss shooting medals are copper with an induced "chocolate" patina from the minting process.

So, most copper medals are thicker than their silver counterpart, there are a few exceptions where they are the same.

I'm not sure, but the reason for the thickness difference is likely because of the silver value/content.

Archived