CoinPeople.com

What? What kind of nonsense medal could this be?!

gxseries

Link

This is the first time I have ever seen in such ridicious denomination, not in terms of large number but instead of the odd denomination.

The typical Soviet crest with the wheats is replaced by chains, and to top up the irony, the text on the reverse states "good for one exit"

Well I don't quite know what else to say for this... :ninja:

Actually this is not a nonsense medal but refers to the difficultly that Jewish people had in immigrating from the USSR during the 1970's. In fact they were referred to as "Refusniks" and often had to wait many years to immigrate and pay outrageous sums of money to the USSR government in order to immigrate, that is what the 19,000 Rubles probably refers to.

When the USSR got the 1980 Moscow Olympics then they finally started letting more people immigrate from the USSR.

Isn't 19,000 rubles at that time some outrageous figure? :ninja:

Or I guess that can happen...

That was back in the 1970's when it cost about $1.50 or so to buy a USSR Ruble, so yes that was an outrageous sum, one that by virtue of being so high would not be attainable for most people desirous of immigrating from the USSR. Permitting of course that you were not privy to some "top secret" info that was potentially damaging to the State.

Archived