CoinPeople.com

Question about Arabic dates

elizabethann

Good morning everyone! I had a quick question for those of you who would know, on the notes from Iraq, Afghanistan, and all those other places that have arabic dates written on them, how are you supposed to translate those? My catalog has a table that shows all the numbers in different languages, but sometimes (OK, most of the time) I have problems matching the numbers on the table with the numbers on the notes. I didn't know if anyone had any suggestions for that or not. The same thing with like older Chinese notes, matching the characters on them. That can be difficult to do! Thanks for the help!

THe numbers (unlike the words) are read left to right, though they are most likely on the Muslim calendar and do not match our julian~esq dates.

Do you have a specific example? or pic?

Ciao and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Shawarmas for all my friends

• 3 weeks later...

Elizabethann,

Just found a site that has info on arabic numbers, which may help you decipher some of the dates on your arabic banknotes....

www.islamicbanknotes.com ....... or click on the link below, next to the evil banana......

go down to the section where it says serial number prefixes. It has the arabic alphabet, as well as the arabic style numbers. Lots of other good info about banknotes from arabic/islamic countries.

KFC :ninja:Islamic banknote site

• 1 month later...

Dates in Arabic are on the AH calendar, usually. This is a calendar based on the flight of Mohammed from Mecca. The year is also shorter than the AD year. There is a table in the Pick Paper money catalogues that gives the years in both systems.

Sometimes (Iran, Afghanistan) there is a solar AH calendar, in which the year is the same length as the AD calendar.

The Eastern calendars are usually dated in an Era. For example, Chinese bills will often have Republic of China 25th year. This would date 1911 (date of founding) +25=1936 AD. Japan has also used this system. The thing to look for is the character that stands for year. The numbers will be directly ahead of this character, which is usually the last one in the line. The oriental bills can be read right to left or left to right, depending on the bill.

I hope this is a help.

The characters used for numbers are fairly straight forward in the Oriental systems- recognize them once and you can always pick them out.

The arabic-related systems will have different characters for 0, 4, 5, and 6, so they can sometimes be confusing.

• 8 months later...
Guest Aidan Work

In both Afghanistan & Iran,they use a SH dating system,as opposed to the AH dating system.The SH dates are from a solar Islamic calendar,as opposed to the 354 day AH system,which is a lunar calendar system,which is why you will see the previous year's AH date on a coin or banknote of the current AD year.The coins & banknotes from the Maldive Islands dated 1960 also bear the date AH 1379.

In some cases,you will see the next year's AH date on a coin or banknote of the current AD year.The Kelantanese gold Dinar & its fractionals are dated AH 1427,but they were issued in late 2006.

Aidan.

Archived