CoinPeople.com

PM to "Cyrillic" Members

tabbs

For some reason I cannot send a PM to Dave (Ukraina Dvi). When I browse the forums, I can view his name fine, but replying is not possible. OK, with public forum messages that does not really matter. But what do I do with PMs?

When I click the name and then choose to send a PM, the name is again displayed just fine (see the first image). Then I type the message, click or Send or Preview - and boom, almost every character is replaced by a question mark (see second image), making it impossible to send the message. Any suggestions?

Christian

bild_1.jpg

bild_2.jpg

I have never had it mess up in a PM but I have had Dave's id mess up in some PCI competitions in either the subject line or description line. I can't remember which. It truncates it after a few letters.

It truncates it after a few letters.

Yes, same here. Oddly enough, that behavior is a little different from how it works, or does not work, in PMs. Oh well ...

Mac problem?

Either that, or some browser specific problem, or ... hm, that is why I asked. :ninja: But as it seems to affect only one member on the sending side and one at the receiving end, it's not a big issue.

Christian

It's to do with some lame coding issues with the software. Are you using a Mac there tabbs?

You can use a Mac and still read Cyrillic, but it is all in the way the fonts are set up in your PC etc. I can read 95% of Cyrillic fonts, but every once in awhile I come upon one that comes up question marks.

You can use a Mac and still read Cyrillic

... which is what I do when I look at your forum name. Reading, or rather viewing, non-"Latin" texts is not a problem. As I wrote, no idea why the characters are altered once I try to send a PM. Maybe it's browser related (I tried two), maybe Mac OS related. Me no worry - there are workarounds. :ninja:

Christian

It's not the browser issue. Most browsers, if installed properly should show up all foreign fonts without much problem.

The reason why I said Mac is because Mac is known for some foreign language encoding issues, whereas in windows xp, this rarely occurs if language packs were installed. Yes, you can read foreign languages without any problems because it is decoded but not the other way around.

I am not too sure how macs work, but is there an option that allows you to install foreign language packs? (no, not in the internet explorer - that only allows you to *view* correctly, but not sending out in foreign langages)

I am not too sure how macs work, but is there an option that allows you to install foreign language packs? (no, not in the internet explorer - that only allows you to *view* correctly, but not sending out in foreign langages)

Not that I know much about how Macs work ;) but installing additional FL packs should not be necessary. For example, I can type a Russian text using Cyrillic characters in an application like TextEdit just fine (except that I have no idea what I type since I don't speak Russian). However, some older apps do not fully support Unicode, and that could be a problem. By the way, Internet Explorer is not available for any current Mac OS anyway; I use Safari.

But as I wrote, this is not a terribly big issue. I can exchange messages with Dave just fine, using a slightly more traditional means of e-communication. :ninja:

Christian

Here's a thought for you Chris, why not get Dave to PM you first, then try replying to it? Might be a way round it...

Thanks for the suggestion, but that does not work either. Good old e-mail works though. :ninja:

Christian

Archived