CoinPeople.com

Do/Did Vatican Coins ever Circulate

jlueke

Prior to the Euro, Vatican coins were minted to the same standards as Italian coins (same sizes, metals, etc), at a par value with the Italian coins, and have legal tender status in Italy. A friend that went to Rome to visit the Vatican a few years back did find 1 Vatican coin in his change. Maybe a fluke?? I dunno, but in theory, they could circulate.

Did Vatican city coins circulate at any time in the past century?

Yes. On my trips to Italy, before Jan-2002, I sometimes had a Vatican 500 or 1000 lire coin in my change. Not really frequently, but it sure was not a big deal. Then again, there weren't that many "Vatican collectors" back then.

Christian

Maybe a fluke??  I dunno, but in theory, they could circulate.

One difference is that the Vatican euro coins are issued in sets only. So each and every VA piece you would find in circulation nowadays would be from a cracked set. In the case of the Vatican coins, how many people do that? :ninja:

And of course the Vatican coins are not actually needed for circulation. In the currency union with Italy they were not "necessary", much less in Euroland. They are merely a symbol of, and a nice source of income for, the country. Under these circumstances it would be dumb to not sell them to collectors only ...

Christian

One difference is that the Vatican euro coins are issued in sets only. So each and every VA piece you would find in circulation nowadays would be from a cracked set. In the case of the Vatican coins, how many people do that?  :ninja:

And of course the Vatican coins are not actually needed for circulation. In the currency union with Italy they were not "necessary", much less in Euroland. They are merely a symbol of, and a nice source of income for, the country. Under these circumstances it would be dumb to not sell them to collectors only ...

Christian

Exactly.

The Vatican is onto a right profit earner there. I can tell you though Chris, that i am aware of several sets that have been split. Loose coins were sold of and they were snapped up pretty fast, even as single coins.

Nifty. I can see that the euros would be found a lot more rarely since they are set only and a little pricey.

Nifty.  I can see that the euros would be found a lot more rarely since they are set only and a little pricey.

Pricey indeed, but since the Vatican is technically a monarchy then i'm quite prepared to pay the going rate. They are the only euro coins that interest me.

How is it a monarchy, when the head of state, the Pope, is an elected official (albeit elected for life)?

Mon, from mono = one.

The Vatican is an Absolute monarchy. An elected absolute monarchy for sure, but when he his elected to power he's got ALL the power.

Don't believe me?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchy

I am quite happy to collect coins from absolutist monarchies, that's why i love 18th century France so much.

Edited to add; Why is it a theocratic monarchy? Well who is it that elects the Pope? The answer is the Curia, and who appoints and promotes people onto the Curia? Why the Pope and the Cardinals... So he's only voted into power by his peers, not the plebs.

How is it a monarchy, when the head of state, the Pope, is an elected official (albeit elected for life)?

absolute rule.

also, not all monarchs are chosen by family line ... the hawaiian monarchs, for instance, were elected by the ali'i ...

Archived