CoinPeople.com

HTML Table Help

Art

I've posted a table in the Coin Forum containing my collecting goals for 2006. The table takes the whole width of the display area. I'd rather have it take just enough to cover the longest element plus a few bytes. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Art's 2006 Collecting Goals Table

Question #2 on tables and html. .

In creating the above table, I had originally wanted to have elements that had sub-elements. For example

IHC Purchase one raw cent per quarter

So the sub-element would be indented like 5 or 6 characters. I know about lists but did not figure I could use a list in my table. Anyone have any directions/help for me on this?

Thank you all.

Guest Stujoe

As for the first part, I can't get it to work no matter what I do. I suspect there is some css thing (or something similar) in the forum templates that causes the tables to go to 100% no matter what you put in there. Just a guess, though...<br><br>As for the second, were you thinking something like this:<br><br><Table border="1" width=80><TR ALIGN="center" VALIGN="bottom"><TD BGCOLOR=#FF9900><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR=#0000FF><B>2006 GOALS</B></FONT></TD></TR> <TR VALIGN="bottom"> <TD BGCOLOR=#00CCFF ALIGN="left"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR=#FFFFFF><B><U>Indian Head & Flying Eagle Cents</U></B></FONT></TD> </TR><TR VALIGN="bottom"> <TD ALIGN="left">IHC Purchase one raw cent per quarter: <ul> <li>1888</li> <li>1889</li> <li>1890</li> <li>1891</li> </ul> </TD> </TR> </Table> <br><br>(You can quote it to see the code if it is...)

my first suggestion would be to change:

width=80

to this:

width="80%"

I've tried width= with numbers. I'll try it with the percentage and see if it helps. Thanks.

As for the first part, I can't get it to work no matter what I do. I suspect there is some css thing (or something similar) in the forum templates that causes the tables to go to 100% no matter what you put in there. Just a guess, though...

As for the second, were you thinking something like this:

2006 GOALS
Indian Head & Flying Eagle Cents
IHC Purchase one raw cent per quarter:     

(You can quote it to see the code if it is...)

That's a terrific solution. I'll copy the code and save it for another day. Thank you.

I think that Stu's right. It's something in the system that's defaulting the width and won't allow an override. I've tried pretty much every scenario I can think of or find documented.

Thanks to all for your help.

saw this too late, but I've struggled over and over with the same problem for my US type set  table. Never got it working what ever I tried.

Then I "solved" it by adding columns for "O", "CC" and "W" so the whole table became wider :ninja:

That's a really nice table that you've built. I've looked at it as a model a few times. Nice type set too.

Archived