CoinPeople.com

Just got a new lens

drwstr123

Turn off your flash if possible and then play with the white balance. (daylight, tungsten, flourescent, etc.)

You could take your own advice, actually. You photos have whilte balance issues. See how the "white" part of your photos (the slab insert) is bluish -- that's a color cast. It can be corrected by either using a grey card and custom white balance (if your camera supports it), or by fiddling around with your white balance setting. Alternatively, you can correct it in post-processing.

Said simply, "white" should be "white".

Hope this helps. Ask questions if it doesn't...Mike

original.jpg

I don't think the brand of camera is as important as knowing how to use the one you have.

Well, of course. But the two are not always independent - note that in a previous post to the thread you first mentioned both the brand of camera and lens.

My first one was an old Kodak 210 and I got a great deal of use out of that little camera. For the past three years or so, my Olympus has served me well and has many more functions than the old Kodak. But I am very impressed by the Digital Rebel pics that I have seen and have even been able to compare pics of the same coin taken with one and with my camera. I feel ready to take another step.

With my camera, manual adjustments to the white balance (which you can see in A and _:ninja: do not always work well (note the 'color cast', as Mike mentioned), as compared to the auto setting (_C). But to completely get rid of that cast, I have to use underlighting (D), but that lowers the contrast a bit. I never get it completely right, but the coin in hand looks the most like D.

566rd.jpg

534ub.jpg

571zq.jpg

492kp.jpg

"Well, of course. But the two are not always independent - note that in a previous post to the thread you first mentioned both the brand of camera and lens."

I don't think people have to go out and spend big bucks on a camera in order to get good pics. I mentioned the ist so everyone would know what I'm learning with.

As of now . I'm happy with the OTT light providing a consistant source for pics. The double bird was taken with it at f22 to provide depth. It's a hoot moving the light in different positions making the pic look like different coins.

There must be more to the white balance than just the prearranged settings , ie.: daylight, incandes., floures, ect. Working on it.

My dad has a Sony Cybershot DSC-F828. Fantastic camera for distant shots and those somewhat up close. Below is the best example of what I'm getting with the normal lens.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/burks/DSC01609.jpg

On Ebay I am finding Macro lenses for $20 plus shipping. From what I understand, one of these would increase the quality of coins photos, correct? Found out he also has a tripod (small one). All I would need is something for lighting.

Can anyone give me some advice here?

My dad has a Sony Cybershot DSC-F828. Fantastic camera for distant shots and those somewhat up close. Below is the best example of what I'm getting with the normal lens.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/burks/DSC01609.jpg

On Ebay I am finding Macro lenses for $20 plus shipping. From what I understand, one of these would increase the quality of coins photos, correct? Found out he also has a tripod (small one). All I would need is something for lighting.

Can anyone give me some advice here?

Hmmm well I am certainly no expert, but the specs on that camera say that it has a macro focus range 2 cm (0.8 in) - 50 cm (19.7 in) specs. To me, that means it will focus on the coin up to 2 cm from the lens. I'm not sure what you would gain from buying a $20 macro lens. Are you certain that you are getting the camera into the macro mode? BTW: that looks like a heck of a nice cam - 8meg.

Yes it was set in macro mode. Had the little flower showing. Probably my technique that sucks. Too bad I didn't think about having him bring the tripod.

Lighting may be playing a key role. I was just going off the sun that was giving lots of light, probably not the right kind.

Archived