CoinPeople.com

Enamelled coins

The first one (alas, I missed acquiring that particular one by a whisker) is one of the most restruck pieces of all time. The Maria Theresia Thaler. Personally, I think the enamelling in this case is a work of art...even though it has been done within the last decade.

The second one (one of mine) is a George III crown and the enamel work was done early Victorian era. The host coin obverse is well worn and in numismatic terms would probably have only been worth the silver content had it survived in the `pre-enamelled' condition through to present.

thalcolour.jpg

enamelled.jpg

I see them as artworks rather than collectible coins.

I'd just hate to see it done to a very rare coin, however.

I see them as artworks rather than collectible coins.

I'd just hate to see it done to a very rare coin, however.

I used to see enamelling as a typically `Brit thing'. The Europeans had different ways of being artistic with their coins. The Germans for example making box thalers. I've yet to see any european examples of enamel work to coins....that is, not until spotting that MT thaler!

I think on early Victorian examples which were performed on old clapped out coins as being art, not just for the technical skill and craftsmanship but also for the fact that the `art' has given the host a new lease of life as an entirely different entity. A true `creation'.

While i'm taken by the MT thaler (it is a bit distinctive and stands out from the mass) a bit of me still thinks on it as butchery of a perfectly good coin. I can live with that though but like you would hate it if it had been done on one of the rarer MT type talers. :ninja:

Archived