CoinPeople.com

French Colonies in America

The French issued a number of jetons in the mid 1700's for their American colonies, all of them are at the very least `rare', many are extremely rare. All are generally much sought after by collectors of early American history and numismatics.

These items were first collectively catalogued by Edouard Frossard, a member of the American Numismatic and Archaeological Society, and published in New York in 1899 (limted edition of 100 copies). The work was (thankfully) reprinted in 1977.

Many of these jetons were struck in both silver and copper, gold ones being struck specifically for the King's cabinet.

These items have been officially restruck by the French mint over the duration using the same dies (but not necessarily the same bust / die match to the obverse) hence there are numerous vatriations from the originals. Although not quite as interesting and valuable as the originals, they still form part of the series. It is not particularly difficult to tell them apart. Modern ones (that is, during the 1880's) tend to be thick with plain edges and carry the name of the metal used and sometimes a hallmark and serial number (not always). The beading is also generally bold and simply `too good to be true' to be an original. :ninja:

Here's an example of a couple such jetons. The first one (silver) is an 1880's re-strike of a 1755 jeton, sturck at Paris mint using original dies to satisfy collector demand for these. The reverse shows the legendary ship of the Argonauts, complete with ther prize of the golden fleece hanging from the mast. Probably signifying the richness of the `prize' of their colonies, as well as the spirit and reward of their adventure. The second is a 1755 original struck in copper. The obverse shows a fair amount of wear and tear which to me highlights the fact that these items indeed ended up in circulation (more often than not) alongside official coinages. Note the slight variation in bust type between the original and the re-strike. The original has the king draped in lion skin.

jeton1.jpg

jeton2.jpg

I wonder whether the obverse was part of the project of the 1830s in replacing those dies that were too worn or damaged to be safely used for restrikes. Your identification of an 1880s restrike would seem to indicate a cornucopia hallmark on the edge?

The two examples are just wonderful. Do you have more in the period as well? Is the initials under the bust an FM, LM or GM? Thanks for posting these! :ninja:

I wonder whether the obverse was part of the project of the 1830s in replacing those dies that were too worn or damaged to be safely used for restrikes. Your identification of an 1880s restrike would seem to indicate a cornucopia hallmark on the edge?

The two examples are just wonderful. Do you have more in the period as well? Is the initials under the bust an FM, LM or GM? Thanks for posting these! :ninja:

First, thanks very much for the fascinating reference. ;) I don't get much information passed my way concerning `jetons' and my journey to date has been a very hard slog.

The silver re-strike carries the cornucopia (`corne d'abondance') poincon.igners initials being `FM'.

I have a couple of others (re-strikes) which i'll scan and post here. I also have an early (1725) original in silver.

Ian

So, it looks like the medallist might be Francois Joesph Marteau, French goldsmith and engraver of Paris (c.1720-1759).

Forrer specifically mentions a Franco-American jeton of 1756 with the shown legend on the reverse. He implies that there were several in series, signed variously F.M., fm and other variants of the two letters. (Forrer, Vol. III, pp.587-588)

I'm looking forward to seeing the others you have. :ninja:

So, it looks like the medallist might be Francois Joesph Marteau, French goldsmith and engraver of Paris (c.1720-1759).

Forrer specifically mentions a Franco-American jeton of 1756 with the shown legend on the reverse. He implies that there were several in series, signed variously F.M., fm and other variants of the two letters. (Forrer, Vol. III, pp.587-588)

I'm looking forward to seeing the others you have. :ninja:

You need to obtain Frossard's little booklet for an appreciation of the range (different bust /reverse combinations). ;)

Of course there are other French jetons which have a connection to America but do not fall into the `Franco American' category. See a previous thread on this here:- http://coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=2642

Here are the few other `colonies Francais' Franco American jetons I have in my collection. Any additional info or light you can shed on these would certainly be much appreciated.

Top left is an original jeton. Frossard lists it as having been issued by `The Company of the East and West Indies' dated 1725 (even though it states `tresor royal' ) and possibly in relation to Louisianna as opposed to Canada (?). The designer initials are J.C.R. as a monogram. This jeton seems to escape attention of Franco American collectors as I believe that few people actually are aware of it's significance. It makes occasional appearance on the market and at ridiculously low prices while far more common pieces in the series command hundreds of dollars. That will change though as more and more people waken up.

Top middle is of course a re-strike of the Castorland jeton (or Castorland Half Dollar as it became known. Castorland in New York State was a French colony. This jeton was issued to board members as a payment for attending board meetings in Paris. It ended up being used in circulation in the colony (or so I have been led to believe). It has been re-struck on numerous occasions, this one being an official Paris re-strike (cornucopia edge mark).

Top right is a very modern (1987) piece which only arrived with me today. It mimics the size of a French 20 francs and weighs in at 5.3 grams approx. To be honest, i'm not sure what the metal is. I'm not even sure if it is a Paris mint piece or otherwise.

It does however carry the same reverse of the 1753 silver piece directly below it. I can only presume that it is intended as a re-strike of the gold original of this piece and probably gilt bronze or even brass, but I don't know. It has the letters C.F.A. under the hemisheres which the silver re-strike does not have.

The two on the bottom row are dated 1752 and 1753 respectively. The 1752 one sees winged Mercury flying over the ocean to what is presumably Canada. There are letters C.N.R. on the rocks to the left under the `U' of Utrique. These are also on the original. I don't know what they are an abbreviation for. The designer is `FM' (cornucopia edge mark) although the original bust used was by Du Vivier. The 1753 one is a complex design Radiant sun over two hemispheres connected in their centre by a straight line, divided to indicate degrees of longitude. The hemispheres indicate the main seas and land masses. The designer is `M' (cornucopia edge mark)

FA1.jpg

FA2.jpg

Ian

Archived