CoinPeople.com

1937 coin one side US the other Filipino

alscoinsandnotes

Hi Al. Looks on the worn side but a nice specimen. The coin is a standard issue for the Philippines which was a US Territory in those days. Coins were minted by US Mint. I believe Philadelphia and San Francisco both minted coins. Not sure about Denver. I'll have to look it up and get back.

Here's a link with a bunch of info on the Philippines coinage including info about the often forgotten Manila Mint.

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php/topic/24725-the-forgotten-us-mint/?hl=%2Bphilippine+%2Bcoins&do=findComment&comment=449018

So your coin was been minted in Philadelphia at the US Mint.

The link below is from NGC's site and deals with the Manila Mint and defines a neat Type Set of Philippine coins. You might enjoy reading it.

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinCustomSetView.aspx?s=1113

g,day thanks for your comment and reply,

my main interest in my declining years is going to be collecting US 1 5 &25 cents to jump start

my enthusiasm and I am going to use my UK Ca and aussie stuff to trade for them, while I have indexing them all I keep finding

these odd ones,

Kind Regards Al

yesterday I found a SA 1941 1d very strange with "imperator" on it

Take a closer look at the obverse... it should have a small "M" at about 7:00. I don't see it on the picture, but that may be due to the wear combined with low photo resolution. If your coin does not have the "M" you may have a filled die, creating a pseudo-variety, like the 1922 plain cent. Nothing to retire on, but a collector of the series would probably pay a small premium.

If it does have an M, it's worth a couple dollars.

And to clarify, Philippine coins were made at San Francisco and Philly from 1903-1919 (shifting gradually until most were made at SF), then Manilla was opened in 1920 and minted all coins from 1920-1941, when the island was taken by Japan. Production shifted to Denver and San Francisco from 1942-46, until the country gained independence in 1947. The Manilla mint never opened back up under US authority, as it was destroyed in WWII.

It appears that I was wrong in my Philadelphia assumption. As Finn235 pointed out, it was minted at Manilla. In fact I think I can see a faint "m" on the coin in the picture. It's at about 7 oclock just near the date.