CoinPeople.com

Coin weight issues...

gxseries

Just got an interesting Russian 5 kopek coin that is severly overweight, I think it needs a diet :ninja:

I did post it in the Russian coin forum, but here is the link again:

Link

I can't make out anything worthwhile from the images or data you have provided other than it is heavier than the average 5 kopek. Any indication of a date? Is the coin the standard 5 kopec design? Does it match a known novodel? Is it overstruck on a 10 Kopek coin?.........

I am not too sure either. All I know is that 10 kopek coins are supposed to be around 51.19grams. This coin is indeed a standard 5kopek coin and I don't think there is any sort of novodel for this particular coin as it is too common. The year is 1769, mintmark EM.

902435.jpg

The only circulated copper planchets that are heavier than 60grams are the Siberian 10 kopeks minted from 1764-1781 but nothing close to the insane 76.4grams.

Copper "coins" that are heavier than this are the Russian copper plates and monster ball minted in 1725-1727ish and the Sestroretsk ruble. This coin is too ridicious...

I am not too sure either. All I know is that 10 kopek coins are supposed to be around 51.19grams. This coin is indeed a standard 5kopek coin and I don't think there is any sort of novodel for this particular coin as it is too common. The year is 1769, mintmark EM.

The only circulated copper planchets that are heavier than 60grams are the Siberian 10 kopeks minted from 1764-1781 but nothing close to the insane 76.4grams.

Copper "coins" that are heavier than this are the Russian copper plates and monster ball minted in 1725-1727ish and the Sestroretsk ruble. This coin is too ridicious...

It sure is an `anomaly'. The only thing that came to my mind was that the Russians were very much into French culture and things `French'. Your coin reminds me of the French practise of making `piefort' (piedfort) coins, literally translating as `strong foot'.

In modern times French piedforts are normally twice the thickness of the normal. Your coin looks to be a Russian piedfort by design. I doubt if the edge engrailing would normally be suitable for an ordinary thickness coin. Anyway, whether made by design as a presentation piece, or by accident on an exceptionally thick flan I honestly don't know. I've never heard of anything like it having been officially produced but that doesn't mean that it wasn't.

A very weird but interesting coin! How much did it cost you if you don't mind me asking?

Ian

Ian

Archived