CoinPeople.com

Count Alexander Suvorov

alexbq2

Here's my recent acquisition. A Birmingham Mint medal by Kuchler commemorating Count Suvorov's victories over the French in the Italian campaign. Interestingly I found the following passage on a Russian Wikipedia page:

"Russian ambassador in London, Count S.R. Vorontsov turned to Suvorov asking - to send his profile to have engraved and when he got the desired, thanked him in high-flown terms, saying that he, Vorontsov, was haunted relentlessly by all, asking for a portrait, all eager to have an image of the hero."

I wonder if this is the profile that Count Vorontsov was talking about?

1029984.jpg

Seeing as Kuchler was employed at the Soho Mint by Matthew Boulton and Boulton was associated with Woronzow(Vorontsov) I think it is most likely that the profile is the one refered too.

Abridged from Olga Baird's "His Excellency Count Woronzow the Russian Ambassador and the Hardware Man: the history of a friendship"

Matthew Boulton started to promote his Birmingham Soho Manufactory and its products as soon as it was built in 1762. Within a few years, even before establishing the partnership with James Watt, Soho became a ‘must see’ for travellers. The first Russian visitors to Soho appeared as early as August 1767, when Boulton wrote to his agent: ‘I have French and Spaniards today; and tomorrow I shall have Germans, Russians and Norwegians.’

Foreign guests usually came to the Soho Mint Birmingham with introductory letters from their Embassy. In his turn, Matthew Boulton was keen on expanding business with the Continent, and the most practical way was to do it through Embassies. During the Soho history of Matthew Boulton’s era (1762-1809), five ambassadors represented Russia in England. Alexander Woronzow (1741-1805) served at the beginning of this period, his brother Semyon (1744-1832) - at the end.

Count Semyon Romanovich Woronzow became the most famous Russian Ambassador to England.

Semyon Woronzow & Matthew Boulton's Corrospondence;

Their correspondence of 1786-1807 consists of about 150 letters, both business and private, and demonstrates the development of their relationship from polite formalities, through mutual respect and appreciation, to genuine friendship.

The 1790 medal by Leberecht/Gass does appear to be the inspiration for Klucher's medal.

EDIT;

The Russian Ambassador Count S.Vorontsov reported from London that Suvorov “was the idol of the English nation, and his health is drunk every day in houses, taverns and cottages” 6 . For the victory in this campaign Paul I presented Suvorov with the title of ‘Prince of Italy’. This is the moment which is commemorated in the Kuchler’s medal. On the obverse the profile bust of Suvorov is shown, with an inscription around: “ALEX.SUWOROW PRINC. ITAL. COM. RIMNIKS.” The portrait derives from the Russian medal of Suvorov by the artist Carl Leberecht (1755-1827) who was a leading engraver at the St Petersburg Mint. Leberecht’s medal was struck in 1790. It marked Suvorov’s victories of 1787, 1788 and 1790 in the Russo-Turkish war, when he was granted the title ‘Count of Rymnic’. On the reverse Suvorov is shown as a Roman warrior, or Mars, the God of War, raising the figure of Italy and trampling on the shield of a fallen French soldier. An inscription around announces: “ITALIAE LIBERATOR. MDCCXCIX”.