CoinPeople.com

2015 brings us closer to the end of the President dollar series.

Dockwalliper

2016 will give us Nixon and Ford. When we get to Carter will they stop? Skip him and move on to Regan?

It's my understanding that living Presidents are not allowed on the coins and will be skipped over until such time as they are kind enough to depart thereby leaving the flow of the program intact. :grin: Actually, I believe the process is to skip and then remerge into the proper place.

I think there will be both Ford and Reagan dollars; as I recall, the procedure was if they passed away two years before the series got to them then they would be included and that living former presidents would simply be skipped. I suppose the lead time is so the dies can be prepared; if something should happen to any of our living former presidents now, it's too late to include them.

I think there will be both Ford and Reagan dollars; as I recall, the procedure was if they passed away two years before the series got to them then they would be included and that living former presidents would simply be skipped. I suppose the lead time is so the dies can be prepared; if something should happen to any of our living former presidents now, it's too late to include them.

I'd be willing to bet that the legislation would be modified to allow inclusion of them after a very short period of time. The folks would get all emotional and demand it.

Given that the last half of the series didn't even circulate, honestly, I doubt it.

Here's a thought -- other than the obvious solution of eliminating the dollar bill once and for all, what do you think they should try next to try to get public interest in a circulating dollar coin?

The mint blew it when the "golden dollar" was introduced. They went thru a short period where they were only available a Walmart checkout. Walmart made a big deal of the "Golden Dollars" and even limited them to one coin per person. It totally defeated the purpose. People looked at them as collectors items and didn't respend them. Some people actually thought they were made of gold!

Maybe if they partnered with someone like Walmart again but they remove the paper dollar bills and only give out the coins, unlimited.

From the bill.....

‘(E) LIMITATION IN SERIES TO DECEASED PRESIDENTS.—

No coin issued under this subsection may bear the image

of a living former or current President, or of any deceased

former President during the 2-year period following the

date of the death of that President

‘(8) TERMINATION OF PROGRAM.—The issuance of coins

under this subsection shall terminate when each President

has been so honored, subject to paragraph (2)(E), and may

not be resumed except by an Act of Congress.

So perhaps they will skip Carter and end with Reagan.

I'd be willing to bet that the legislation would be modified to allow inclusion of them after a very short period of time. The folks would get all emotional and demand it.

Depends on who dies and who is in Congress :offtopic:

Given that the last half of the series didn't even circulate, honestly, I doubt it.

Here's a thought -- other than the obvious solution of eliminating the dollar bill once and for all, what do you think they should try next to try to get public interest in a circulating dollar coin?

I would like to see a classic patriotic design but I don't think anyone could agree on one.

There wouldn't be any agreement on historical political figures; the only ones who get a free pass are the Big Three -- Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln. You *might* get agreement on Teddy Roosevelt; I can't think of anyone later than that (outside of Ike, who's already had his turn) that has any hope of being non-controversial. You almost have to go to Revolutionary War figures like Sam Adams, Thomas Paine and Ben Franklin (wouldn't mind seeing him on a coin again--I've always loved Franklin halves).

Side note that I'm reminded of by mention of the American Revolution: the best typo I ever saw was in an e-book of Carl Sagan's -- I think it was The Demon-Haunted World -- that slipped one letter in Ethan Allen and turned it into Ethan Alien. Which brings to mind a completely different kind of green mountain boy. XD

I think the only way to get everyone to sign off on it is to put Liberty on it -- which I would love to see. Or something similar to the Flying Eagle cent design, which has always been a favorite of mine. Perhaps the Statue of Liberty; I think it deserves better than the reverse of a series that's no longer issued for circulation.

I'm going to reiterate a point that I've made before on this site, and I will always be willing to make again -- presidents don't belong on coins, at least not for a century past their term of office so that their contributions can be more fairly assessed. I would love to see the national symbols -- Liberty, the eagle, the flag, even the more obscure ones like the oak and the rose -- used on our coins. Political figures, with very few exceptions, are inherently divisive figures, especially those still within living memory.

I agree that Presidents don't belong on circulating coins and currency - any president any time. Historical figures can have places to rest on Commemorative Coins and notes. I include Sacajawea in that historical figure thing. Great new series of Native American dollars but since they aren't really made for circulation I'm ok with that.

Maybe we need a poll - if the US brought back one historical design for each issue, which would be most likely to be brought back? Note, I distinguish the difference between which you want and which would actually succeed?

If you disallow the current designs, I'll say the following (with my preference, if different, following in parens):

1c: Flying Eagle

5c: Buffalo (Shield)

10c: "Mercury"

25c: Seated Lib (Capped Bust)

50c: Walking Lib

$1: Morgan (Seated Lib)

And restore circulating commemorative halves.

If you disallow the current designs, I'll say the following (with my preference, if different, following in parens):

1c: Flying Eagle

5c: Buffalo (Shield)

10c: "Mercury"

25c: Seated Lib (Capped Bust)

50c: Walking Lib

$1: Morgan (Seated Lib)

And restore circulating commemorative halves.

Ah! Nice choices but let's be realistic and look at both obverse and reverse separately. For example while the Flying Eagle obverse is really a nice choice I'd move further up the line to the Indian Head Cent or Wheatie for reverse.

Ooo, I hadn't thought about that. Yeah, I wouldn't object to the oak cluster and shield design for the reverse of the cent. I dunno about the quarter or the dollar. Gonna have to have a long cogitate on that.

I can't imagine separating the Indian head from the Buffalo reverse, the Mercury obverse from the fasces reverse, and suggesting the Walking Lib without its magnificent eagle is numismatic heresy in my mind.