CoinPeople.com

Book on German city views

bustchaser

Many of you may remember from the old site when I posted that I had finally broken down and bought this darkside coin.

kreuzer.jpg

I am getting the urge again. However, I am also interested in any literature about city views before I buy another. How are these catalogued...by Krause or is there a special text used? If so, is it available in English? (I am the proverbial Ugly American who is basically monolingual.)

TIA

Jim

Standard Catalog of German Coins: 1601 To Present (Standard Catalog of German Coins) (Paperback), 1132 pages

Publisher: Krause Publications; 2nd edition (December, 1998)

ISBN: 0873416449

For German coins in general this is a great reference, although the prices are a little outdated. Krause used to sell it for $20 on their website, but I can't find it there now. It's still available on Amazon.

German church and city talers, 1600-1700 (Unknown Binding)

by John Stewart Davenport, 351 pages

Publisher: Davenport; [2d ed.] edition (1975)

ASIN: B0006CQJKW

This is an out of print book on City thlers by Davenport. I believe that the contents of this book are included in the Standard Catalog above.

Standard Catalog of German Coins: 1601 To Present (Standard Catalog of German Coins) (Paperback), 1132 pages

Publisher: Krause Publications; 2nd edition (December, 1998)

ISBN: 0873416449

For German coins in general this is a great reference, although the prices are a little outdated. Krause used to sell it for $20 on their website, but I can't find it there now. It's still available on Amazon.

German church and city talers, 1600-1700 (Unknown Binding)

by John Stewart Davenport, 351 pages

Publisher: Davenport; [2d ed.] edition (1975)

ASIN: B0006CQJKW

This is an out of print book on City thlers by Davenport. I believe that the contents of this book are included in the Standard Catalog above.

John Davenport produced a series of books on `German Talers' as well as his books on `Church and City Talers'. He also produced a separate series on `European Crowns'. if the original poster is interested in `city views on crown size coins' as opposed to a specific German city state at a certain period of time then he would need the complete set of books (and a fair sized wad of notes) in order to get an idea of the scope involved. Even then these books give very scant information and basically simply catalogue the existence of the coins along with images.

May I therefore humbly suggest that the original poster considers getting hold of Bachtell's `1477-1877 -World Dollars'. This book usually can be found on ebay for less than the price of a single Davenport book, contains nigh on every coin that Davenport lists in his complete series of books (and some that he doesn't - including counterstuck and countermarked coins). What is sacrificed is a) the images are not quite so good as you normally find in Davenport. :ninja: the catalogue referencing system isn't perhaps as user friendly as it could be, but it's workable and once you get used to it, it's easy to use. To me the savings and knowledge gained are well worth these very small sacrifices.

Be aware that there was a second edition which is (rather strangely) 1477-1800. it actually misses out stuff that was in the first edition..... but also has stuff that wasn't in the first edition. Then there is a third volume referenced as `Addition -1479 to 1937'. I managed to get all three for less than $30. A colleague also managed to find copies of all three recently on ebay for under $40.

For quality of binding and `snob value'.... you won't beat Davenport.

For information that is `fit for purpose' and available on a budget...well, Bachtell wins by a long shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Contact me if you are interested in the complete set of Davenport's PLUS five or six pamphlets PLUS Large Sized Silver Coins of the World...

Although I still have 15 or so Cityview talers in my collection I will no longer add to them and I could really use a Forrer set instead of the Davenports.

Goetzdude

Archived