CoinPeople.com

Unknown Ancient

Hello all,

My Father gave me this coin many years ago and I had forgotten about it until I found it recently. This is my only ancient and since I do not collect these I am having some trouble identifying it.

I thought someone here may be able to save me some time and let me know the specifics.

If so, I would appreciate any and all information about it.

Thanks!

Update:

Please correct or confirm.

I believe I was able to identify to a degree:

Egypt, Ptolemaic Kings. Ptolemy IV. 221-205 BC. Bronze 36x38mm, 40.58 grams. Zeus Ammon

UnknownAncient_zps72369d71.jpg

Should be this type:

Kings of Egypt, Ptolemaios III or IV, Alexandria mint, 246-204 BC.,
Æ 40 (Hemidrachm, Tetrobol or Pentobol ?) (ca. 37-39 mm / ca. 40-50 g),
Obv.: diademed head of Zeus Ammon facing right.
Rev.: ΠTOΛEMAIOY - BAΣIΛEΩΣ , eagle standing left on thunderbolt, head turned right, wings closed, control letter E between legs, filetted cornucopia ascending from eagle´s right shoulder.
Svoronos 148f, 974 (pl. 29, 12) ; BMC 66, 37 ; Weiser 91 ; Sear GCV 7815 .

Ptolemy III - Alexandria EPSILON Series.
Lorber has attributed these coins to the early part of the reign of Ptolemy III as heavy weight standard hemidrachms while some other references differ. Weiser attributes them as Pentobols of Ptolemy IV. (My estimation from the observed weight: a tetrobol.)

Regards

:rockon:

Should be this type:

Kings of Egypt, Ptolemaios III or IV, Alexandria mint, 246-204 BC.,

Æ 40 (Hemidrachm, Tetrobol or Pentobol ?) (ca. 37-39 mm / ca. 40-50 g),

Obv.: diademed head of Zeus Ammon facing right.

Rev.: ΠTOΛEMAIOY - BAΣIΛEΩΣ , eagle standing left on thunderbolt, head turned right, wings closed, control letter E between legs, filetted cornucopia ascending from eagle´s right shoulder.

Svoronos 148f, 974 (pl. 29, 12) ; BMC 66, 37 ; Weiser 91 ; Sear GCV 7815 .

Ptolemy III - Alexandria EPSILON Series.

Lorber has attributed these coins to the early part of the reign of Ptolemy III as heavy weight standard hemidrachms while some other references differ. Weiser attributes them as Pentobols of Ptolemy IV. (My estimation from the observed weight: a tetrobol.)

Regards

:rockon:

Thank you very much for the detailed information! From what I found online, while very old, it does not seem to be very rare. I believe the condition is good and the patina etc. original. Do you agree with my statement/observations?

Thanks for your help.

Thank you very much for the detailed information! From what I found online, while very old, it does not seem to be very rare. I believe the condition is good and the patina etc. original. Do you agree with my statement/observations?

Thanks for your help.

They are quite abundant.

Meanwhile i assembled 9 of these, each in the 20-40 $ range:

http://www.arminius-numismatics.com/coppermine1414/cpg1414/thumbnails.php?search=Svoronos+148f+974&submit=search&album=search&title=on&newer_than=&caption=on&older_than=&keywords=on&type=AND

Maybe these are the most common ancient huge bronze coins available for an affordable price.

Regards

They are quite abundant.

Meanwhile i assembled 9 of these, each in the 20-40 $ range:

http://www.arminius-numismatics.com/coppermine1414/cpg1414/thumbnails.php?search=Svoronos+148f+974&submit=search&album=search&title=on&newer_than=&caption=on&older_than=&keywords=on&type=AND

Maybe these are the most common ancient huge bronze coins available for an affordable price.

Regards

Thanks Arminius, that is what I assumed but was not certain of. I appreciate your time and information. I have had this coin for about 40 years, misplaced it, and recently found it again. I do collect numismatics but this example is my only ancient. It is nice to know so much more than I have ever before!

Have a great weekend.