CoinPeople.com

Slabbing

alexbq2

I've sent a few coins to NGC. Just wanted to learn the process, and wanted to understand their grading. Got a couple of pleasant surprises.

This coin got MS-63RB, according to NGC census it is the best of 5 that they graded.

1024881.jpg

This coin came back with the highest grade of my batch - MS 64RB. Out of 31 NGC graded business strikes it tied with one other coin that got MS 64BN.

996092.jpg

I went to a Denver coin show last weekend. That was depressing. It really feels like most Russian material has drained out of the market. Then again, I am told that the coastal shows have more international numismatic representation. Denver is mostly US coins/tokens.

P.S. I did manage to get a Georgian 2 abazi coin.

Congrats on the grades! Some beautiful coins you 've got. ................never could understand NGC's definition of 'RB' Some of their RB's are 90%+ Red and some are 90%+ brown. Go figure...

You did very well!

Darkside material in Ohio is few and far between. What you see is either modern (as in 1990+) or coins so beat up you can hardly tell what they are (still in the 20th century!). Once in a while someone will have maybe one or two really nice darkside coins they got in a trade or something for sale.

Actually, I think you nailed it! I think RB is from 10% to 90% red.

I wish it were that simple. Follow the link to see a coin with a 10% - 15% red obverse and a 40% - 50% red reverse. These must be scans. In person the coin probably looks much brighter. The grade is 'BN'

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=231421&lotNo=63020#Photo

On the other hand, I have a couple of coins graded 'RB' where I am yet to find a red spark. .......Got to be some magic formula they are using.