CoinPeople.com

Metamorphosis of the Sincona collection

IMIS

Hello there,

Can anyone explain how the Sincona collection became the Pfalz-Fein collection? It is my understanding that the Sincona collection was accumulated by Mr. Anonymous.

BTW, whoever sold this lot in the April Heritage auction, did not do to well:

Lot 25751

Peter I (the Great) silver Kopeck (1718) inverted L, Bitkin-type of 1273/98, Diakov-type of 678/720 (all at least R1), KM153, MS63 NGC. Fully brilliant, and lustrous, with the normal crude strike always seen with this type. A seldom offered type, especially so in this choice condition. Ex: Pfalz-Fein Collection with original collection tag showing Lot # 67.

It sold in Heritage for $2000, but bought in Sincona for 3000 Swiss franks + commission.

There is an intro by Falz-Fein in The Sincona Collection - Part 1 catalog. Someone mistakenly (or not) decided to use the name...

IgorS, Thank you for the info. I do not have the Sincona Collection catalog...If I understood you correctly, it is only the introduction that pertains to Mr. Pfalz-Fein, not the collection. This is actually sad news for me personally as I purchased a few coins in NGC slabs marked as "Pfalz-Fein collection" as a tribute to the Pfalz-Fein family and their contribution to Russia.

.....disappointed by NGC's sloppiness. Perhaps I should ask NGC to slab my Transylvania talers as "Count Dracula Collection."