CoinPeople.com

Penny struck on a DIME planchet

DreamFLight911

Looks more like a cent that has been roughed up to me. BUT if you think you have a genuine planchet error some further investigation is called for.

The underlaying colour looks much more like zinc than nickel, so I'm going to lean with Art in that it looks like a beat-up cent.

Going to agree with Art and ccg. Looks like that penny spent many moons in a washing machine or something.

But by no means am I an expert.

Why would they weigh the same?

Coinkydink.

The dime's within standard range, and the cent's about 10% underweight for a cent, which can be explained by the damage, especially around the rims.

If the cent was struck on a dime planchet, the colour would mean that it's an missing both nickel clad layers planchet, which would be significantly underweight (~25%) vs. a regular dime.

Coinkydink.

The dime's within standard range, and the cent's about 10% underweight for a cent, which can be explained by the damage, especially around the rims.

If the cent was struck on a dime planchet, the colour would mean that it's an missing both nickel clad layers planchet, which would be significantly underweight (~25%) vs. a regular dime.

Great answer!

Not a recent phenomenon, but back when pay telephones took dimes people used to shave down cents to dime size to use in pay phones. I have found a few of these "modified" cents during roll searches over the years. Most of the ones I have found were dated in the 1950s and early 1960s.

• 3 months later...