CoinPeople.com

Peru - How often are they faked?

Burks

Just wondering. I've been flipping through my Krause guides and came across some late 19th, early 20th century silvers that I really, really like. How often are these faked? Price wise they are within my range to buy a couple of the larger Un Sols each month in AU/UNC condition, and multiple of the smaller ones in UNC condition. Even the key dates, for the most part, are fairly inexpensive when compared to US coins.

Might just have found a new collection to start..........sweet! I don't see Peru talked about much.

They're great looking coins. I have a few in my collection. Not sure about counterfeiting on these but the way things go, I'd guess there are some.

Thank you for the replies.

I've been able to find quite a few of the smaller coins in lower end UNC condition right at NGC book price. They seem fairly common on eBay so I'm not snagging those up quite yet. Prices seem stable from some researching I've done.

The more I look at their coins, the more I like them. Peru and Bolivia just "speak" to me. Can't explain it, I just like them. Sort of how people like those big ugly Ike Dollars, yuck!

Thank you for the replies.

I've been able to find quite a few of the smaller coins in lower end UNC condition right at NGC book price. They seem fairly common on eBay so I'm not snagging those up quite yet. Prices seem stable from some researching I've done.

The more I look at their coins, the more I like them. Peru and Bolivia just "speak" to me. Can't explain it, I just like them. Sort of how people like those big ugly Ike Dollars, yuck!

I like an Ike dollar and also a Churchill crown. They are so very different that I really enjoy them. I especially like getting Ikes at the bank and such. People just don't know what to do with them.

• 2 weeks later...

You can find small silver minors from as far back as the 1860s in MS66 condition for under $100. MS66 as in NGC MS66! The Soles crowns are also a fun collection that can be built for little more than the melt value of the silver in the coins. Of course most of them are cleaned XF coins, but it's actually possible to complete the set or come close to it without going broke. And as a type you can add one of the Soles coins in MS64 for under $300 for an example in pristine condition to go along with all the other overdates and otherwise messed-up crowns. <<<SNIP>>>

Edited by Art1.2
Advertising violation