CoinPeople.com

Interesting 2 kopecks 1757 - overstrike / "overdate" :)

extant4cell

A-ma-zing! And convincing! How else could the strange "overdate" be explained?

Eugene, this was much detective work. You deserve the attribute of "numismatist".

Thank you very much for sharing what you found.

Sigi :art:

-

Thank you Sigi! :) I knew where all these details come from, but it was one of my friend that combined pictures with pics of the 5 kopecks that I shared here and that make it easier to see. :) I was more puzzled by details of irregular shape in place of a 5-k dot, just to the right of the St.George. The "overdate" is just a funny coincidence that would be hard to explain if it wasn't an overstrike...

IMHO!

So you are trying to say that numerals "17" on 1757 coin are shaped like this because there is underlying "26" from previous (1726) coin in that same place? If so, this does not look to be the case to me. "1" of the date looks like this on many coins, and sometimes "7" have that "tail" on some coins of this period. Besides "6" is bigger in size, wider and closer to the center than "7" on the other coin. IMHO.

WCO

You may be right, but part of 1756 date sits right on top of a part of 1726 date. You can (probably) see a part of 1726 visible "under" 1756... that creates an impossible 1756/1656 "overdate" effect, that's all... It is probable, and in this case it may be like an object of any religion - one can believe anything they choose to believe. As dies didn't always strike right in the middle and 2 k moved to the left too much I believe that I see an "overdate" effect. To make this more interesting, as knowledge is power, can you please show some examples of the tails on number 7 in later dates that look similar to this one? Who knows, you may be able convert me... :art: