CoinPeople.com

FRANCE. Paris Mint, Antoine de Bourbon, King of Navarre Silver Medal, ND circa 1560

Antoine.jpg

FRANCE. Paris Mint, Antoine de Bourbon, King of Navarre Silver Medal, ND circa 1560 by Etienne de Laune "one of the cleverest 16th century medallists" according to Mazerolle, he was also known as Stephanus Launus, Etienne de Laulne, or Delaulne.circa 1519-1583. 39mm. 28gm. BMC/Jones-76. RARE.

Obv. Bust of Antoine right, in armor with the inscription ANTONIVS . DEI . G . REX . NAVARRÆ . Die crack at 4 o'clock runs through the 'A'.
Rev. A rising anthropomorphic sun disperses clouds over the sea with inscription FOVET ET DISCVTIT.(Foster & dissipate)

Antoine was king of Navarre from 1555 until his death in 1562, his son Henri became the first Bourbon king of France as Henri IV in 1589.

Oh my gosh Constanius, what a beautiful medal. I can count on the fingers of one hand the silver jetons/medals I've seen from the French Renaissance. Those die cracks are lovely.

The medal itself is listed R. by Jones, which for this type of medal means really hard to find, the silver medal though is almost impossible to find. It is the first I have seen.

Where did you come across this piece? its a beauty. Nice find.

I saw it first in a Stack's auction, estimated at $300 but it did not sell. Then it was offered on Ebay, where to my utter surprise I won it for $40.50. I had placed a somewhat higher bid, with no real expectation of win it.

I have seen bronze modern restrikes, stuck from new dies go for more.

I guess it is always worth a punt because you never know what happens in an auction!

The medal itself is listed R. by Jones, which for this type of medal means really hard to find, the silver medal though is almost impossible to find. It is the first I have seen.

It saw it first in a Stack's auction, estimated at $300 but it did not sell. Then it was offered on Ebay, where to my utter surprise I won it for $40.50. I had placed a somewhat higher bid, with no real expectation of win it.

I guess it is always worth a punt because you never know what happens in an auction!

:art: That is a truly exceptional `steal'. Brilliant!!

• 3 weeks later...

I saw it first in a Stack's auction, estimated at $300 but it did not sell. Then it was offered on Ebay, where to my utter surprise I won it for $40.50. I had placed a somewhat higher bid, with no real expectation of win it.

Beautiful piece. at an unbelievable price! Congrats on the Ebay score :yahoo: