CoinPeople.com

Hoarding a lot of Chinese Manchukuo coins

gxseries

Went on a rampage to buy a hoard of Manchukuo coins - they seem to be drying up quite quickly. There is probably more than 100 coins in this lot. This did not come cheaply but found some key dates and upgrades in here. While catalog value seems to suggest otherwise, I have been looking for these coins for at least a couple of years.

manchukuo_lot.jpg

5 li coins - this is dated 1933

1021385.jpg

1021386.jpg

The most common 5 li coins are 1934 (Da Tong 3 and Kang De 1) and 1937 (Year 4). Other years are significantly difficult. Probably paid a few times more than the suggested catalog value.

New type 1943 5 fen

1021387.jpg

This coin is surprisingly difficult to find despite what catalog value suggest. This coin is actually harshly cleaned but I know that if I miss this opportunity, I will not see another one any time soon. Both the new and old 5 fen coin was difficult to find but this I reckon is a lot harder than the old type.

I have about 4 coins left to find in this series but they all pose serious challenges.

1 fen copper: 1933 - despite what all catalog value say, I have not seen one for sale.

10 fen / 1 jiao aluminum old type: 1943 - this is the most expensive key date

5 li copper: 1935, 1939. Now I reckon these two could be as hard as the key date especially the 1939 5 li.

That's a great purchase. Lots of fine items for your collection. I'm with SMS on harshly cleaned coins.

Hello Gxseries,

I about started drooling when I saw the above photo. I' m working on a Manchukuo set myself minus the clay issues. I only started working on it recently as I completed another set and needed another one that was (a) not too expensive and (B) a challenge but not impossible.

These are the coins that I need:

5 Li: 1933, 1934 KT 1, 1935, 1936, 1939

1 Fen: 1933 BTW there was one of these on ebay recently with a buy it now of $6,000.00 USD, not sure what was going on with that

1 Fen: 1939

1 Fen: 1943, 1944

5 Fen: 1940, 1941, 1942

5 Fen: 1943,1944

10 Fen:1943 Type I

If you have any of these to spare, list them on ebay or contact me via here, I'm interested.

I also collect or have completed collecting the following:

Spanish Civil War issues and tokens, 1936 - 1939

Uganda issues of the Idi Amin years, 1972-1976

Wartime Slovakia 1939 - 1945

Hammered UK (pre-Stuart)

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. This hoard actually came from a few different sellers but it just happened that they arrived around the same time and I left them piled up for some time. Only got around to photographing them - a bit too busy for my liking. Will be sorting out the duplicates and sell them off.

andwils, if you think this set is doable and affordable, I think you could be in for a bit of shock. I've come to realize that this is not an easy set to accomplish. The clay coins should be very easy - shouldn't cost more than 50 dollars in total if you are patient and aren't going for UNC condition.

The key date 1943 1 jiao or 10 fen was worth at least 300 dollars back three years ago when the rest of the coins were averaging less than 5-10 dollars each in XF condition. I suspect it would have shot up at least two to three times now assuming if you can find one to start off with. Most 5 li coins are difficult to find. To give you a rough idea how difficult it was to find these two 5 li coins, it has been more than 2 years before I managed to track them down and obtain them. Saw a Kangde 3 5 li coin in average condition sold previously but it was going for than 70 dollars. Not too sure what is with the price for the 1933 1 fen but it is the first time I have seen it for offer. It's in a very good condition as well which makes it harder to find. Might be able to give you a hand with a few coins - will be sending a PM.

Gxseries,

Let me know about anything you'd like to sell that I need. I am not picky on grades. I never really paid too much attention to Manchukuo over the years always selling whatever I came across to finance what I was focused on at the time. I never paid much attention to dates but I assumed most were common due to the frequency that I came across 10 fen's, etc. Then I decided one day after I had went as far as I'm prepared to go with my Spanish Civil War set that I'd like to have another set of something from the 1930's. Then I realized that those badly cleaned 5 Li coins that I had five years ago and sold for $2 a piece were really, really RARE. I've been working on Manchukuo on and off since February 2013 with steady progress.

The wartime metallic coins are all tough, reading though Krause for values is almost like reading a fairy tale. 90 cents for a 1943 1 fen? Yeah, ok. The clay coins conversely are everywhere but catalog for a lot more. I would give $300 for any 1943 10 fen type 1 or 1939 5 li. I would pay much more but like you say, finding them...