CoinPeople.com

1729 ruble - genuine?

gxseries

i think i saw similar to this one currently on ebay

Here is a scan from old Konros:

Your rouble is not pictured on the scan, but it represents rarer variety of type 2 Peter II rouble (smaller head, ribbons and star), but with missing star. Usually, star would be missing if rouble was recut from type 1. The variety where mistake is made and star is forgotten is more expensive. The trouble is that rouble is too underweight (over 5 gr. missing!). It should be 2-3 grams up or down from the nominal 28.44 g., 5 g. is a little too much, so it is suspicious. The other suspicious thing is the crowns design with the "ball" that holds the cross sitting too high up. Other than that (and a bit of a brownish patina), it looks pretty old and at the first glance good. I would test it for silver and inspected it well under microscope or a strong magnifying glass, to see what the story the metal structure could tell.

Here`s a coin with a completely wrong edge inscription.

Oh for god's sake. It's also clearly struck in collar. :hysterical::rofl:

This is verging on being as bad as the fake gold coin I called a "parody" (non existent denomination--not just for that year but for that type, totally anachronistic type come to think of it, poor execution, etc.)

Funny. Is it silver?

I have no idea. These are pictures from an internet seller that rightly calls the item for "souvenir".

This could have been manufactured by using a younger rouble coin as a "host" coin, but then the whole thing would be smaller compared to the real roubles of the period. But I have no intention to buy this super novodel only to find out answers to these questions.