CoinPeople.com

1853 5 Kopecks. Your opinion on authenticity.

No idea. All three photos from the same sale on auction some 4 years ago. I didn't see any criminal there, but one person did, dividing the opinions. I still think it is a real coin, but kept these picture in my "questionable" archive. As I am adding picture of the fake coins to http://www.rnumis.com/rnumis_research_0.php?db_pgtyp=db_pgtyp_rf_gallery&rfsort=1 now, I came across this coin again, and would like to solve its authenticity once and for all. If there is interest to read 4 years old thread on one of than populated Russian forums, it's here: http://rucoin.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=39941&mode=linear

i read rucoin thread - nobody said anything smart just bla bla bla

I inclined to believe the official statement in the paper by Shiryakov. It is a real and interesting coin. The other interesting thing about it, as I was just told, that it is being for sale over 4 year on russian "ebay" molotok.ru ... It is somewhat a record. I didn't see it yet, but am told that the price is pretty astronomical.

Here is for a comparison:

1_50362c14b7e75.jpg2_50362c14b8a25.jpg

post-27191-0-77188600-1368832295_thumb.jpgpost-27191-0-90250500-1368832265_thumb.jpg

Thank you for looking into it...

It does feel a little fishy, but I don't believe it is fake. Overdate is possible, and not criminal, still a proper coin. :)

Bobh and Steve, well spotted! :) It does look like overdate. Also the BM looks a little different from other 1853's. That explains why!

post-27191-0-90250500-1368832265_thumb.jpg 2_50362c14b8a25.jpg

• post-28311-0-49310900-1368882623_thumb.jpg

Could it be a Novodel? Giving the Shiryakov's comment that the surface is polished and that coins are in a really good state...

I was also thinking of the novodel possibility. One aspect I find puzzling, though, is that the edges of the raised devices (letters, feathers, etc.) don't look quite as sharply struck as they do on the image of the other (darker) coin further up in this thread, although there are more traces of circulation on the darker coin (i.e. in the next-to-last post before this one, it is at the right of the lighter coin being discussed presently -- not the lower image of a coin in VF grade). The lighter-color coin looks uncirculated to me. I would expect the strike to appear much sharper as a result, especially if it were a specially prepared novodel -- even if original dies were used. But this might be just a difference in lighting and/or focus. One would have to be able to see the real coin in order to make a definite statement about that.

Mastic film... protects it. Don't ask me why they did it. Most collectors will not like that. I don't like this sort of artificial protection, although there are same examples of ancient coins that may need to use it, so I keep a bottle clear coin protective product in my box as well. I wouldn't use it on any of my Russian coins though, it would ruin the look. I have maybe 2-3 coins with this protection that I bough like that at some stage, it ruins the look.

On Russian forum some believe that it may be not an overdate, but a stamp crack, because the 1 would be too far away. I doubted that and made this little image combination that shows that one of "1"s edges should be exactly where the line in "3" is visible. I'll go with you on this one. The idea of it being a novodel made with original date re-cut stamps was also not supported there. I will not insist on that. Here it is:

post-27191-0-54035900-1368952272_thumb.j

I am not saying that it's the same stamp, I am showing that the line inside 3 in a date 1853 is exactly were one side of 1 was in 1851... That is to support that re-cut from a different 1851 stamp to 1853 is possible and even most probable as the chance of splitting the die in this spot would be so remote, as for me to jump out of bed barefooted and land right inside my work shoes bypassing my slippers... :)

• 3 weeks later...