CoinPeople.com

5 Kopek

toby goode

Hello New to Russian coins. Bought a group of Russian coins on the internet and have some questions? I have a 1770 5 Kopek at 42.9 grams? I have a 1787 5 Kopek at 45.8 grams? The 1787 date side a little strange. I have a 1796-that the date looks a little strange. Real, fakes or variety? Any help or opinion would be great. Thanks

GetAttachment1.jpg

GetAttachment1 (2).jpg

GetAttachment2 (2).jpg

Hello Toby. The photos are very small, but the coins look fine as far as I can tell. The weights of Catherine 5Ks can very widely and there are design differences, though numerals do follow a fairly standard style. If they were rarer coins, I'd ask for larger pictures, but these I'm sure are just fine.

:art:

Hello-Will try to post better pic's, once I have figure out how....Thanks Toby

Hi, nice pictures now. Your 1778EM is a scarce variant displaying a later eagle. In 1779 a new eagle design was introduced. There was much mixup in 1778 and 1779 with old, new and intermediate eagles. Some die combinations are scarce, others rare. Yours is an intermediate eagle.

Welcome to the posse hunting down the large 5 kopeks.

Sigi :yes:

My bad, sorry.

42.9 and 45.8 are perfectly fits remedium allowance. If weight differs for more than 20%, then it's a strike on special planchet — to fix the weight of coin group. Anyway, I think it nice to have coins with small deviation of normal weight :yes: