CoinPeople.com

Process for determining Type of 2 euro edges

Hey coinpeople,

I have gone back and forth on something and would like to know if there is a definitive standard on this topic. I don't need responses from people who don't believe that this is a meaningful difference.

Every 2 euro coin has two types based on the orientation of what is on the edges of the coins. These types are usually referred to as Type A and Type B. The problem that I have is that half of the sources "out there" say to have the national side of the coin facing upward before looking at the edge and the other half of the sources say to have the common side facing upward. Needless to say, this would lead to opposite Type A and Type B conclusions.

Do any of you believe that one website expresses greater "authority" on this question than the others? If yes, what is it?

Hoping that at least one of you knows what I am talking about,

Bruce (everycountrycoins)

I think that as long as there is a consensus that the national side is the obverse, it makes more sense to have that side up and the reverse side down when determining edge type. Thus, that is what I will push out to those who are posting something else. Thanks for at least helping me think/post through this for myself.

Bruce (everycountrycoins)

Oh, oh. Here is a fairly authoritative argument for the other school of thought. http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/position-a-or-position-b/10000000175909898/g.html Maybe I shouldn't switch after all. I'm back to my state of indecision. It just seems so counter-intuitive, and I have little confidence in my own USA when it comes to choosing units of measurements and standards (too attached to tradition and not to what might be simpler).

Actually, that's only true of Portuguese 1 Euro coins (and has nothing to do with Type A and Type B). These Types only apply to 2 Euro coins.

For anybody following my decision-making process, I am going to use the method of starting with the national side up. I believe that is what the majority of "serious" euro collectors use, and seems slightly more intuitive to put the obverse up.