CoinPeople.com

Two Penny Questions

Bambooski

First of all, I have found that 1968, and only 1968 pennies seem to have thicker designs, as if they were doubled-die, and this isn't just one or two 68s I am looking at. Anyone have an explanation?

Second, there is a '9' under the date of this penny that seems to have been printed on. Does anyone know about this? Sorry for the bad picture quality.

For the 1968 - I believe that's a Late-Die State die. Meaning... the die had been used for many, many, many punches and the metal slowly flowed from the repeated strikes. It begins to look... melty. Just like your coin. In other words, your coin might have been one of the last ones struck with that particular die. Cool!

As for the 2000 - funky! Wish I could tell you!

The '68's did have a lot of late state die varieties - I have always liked how they have a very high relief during that year and also 1972-3. Too bad our current coins are flat little monsters that won't look cool in 40 years. The varieties back then had to do with cost cutting, and saving where they could. The US Mint was still playing big catchup with having to strike all the dimes and quarters to replace all the silver that disappeared from coinage. For awhile until mid 1967 they were still striking 1965 dated coins, and they continued striking the 1964 dated silver coins into mid 1966. The previous prohibition against striking coins outside of the year on the coin was lifted during that time because of the coin shortage.

I search rolls of dimes and do find about 1 silver dime for every $100 of dimes searched.

Two extra bucks, how long does it take you to search 1000 dimes?

Does anyone know about the 9 under date?

Difinitely a Post Mint thing. Not sure but almost looks like someone just scratched that there for some reason.

And your right about that 68. Same thing is found on many of the 72's and many other dates from back slightly prior to the change over in 82. They make nice looking coins for an Album but no big thing in prices.

Two extra bucks, how long does it take you to search 1000 dimes?

Not more than 8-10 minutes tops for CWR(customer wrapped rolls). You get pretty quick at it. The only things that are sort of a pain are the 1968 on up Canadian. Occasionally I find older Canadian 10c coins though, found a George VI from 1945 about a month ago. With BWR(bank wrapped rolls) I slit the sides of the rolls with a razor blade peak for silver, and dump the rejects into a bag. It is a fairly quick process.

Difinitely a Post Mint thing. Not sure but almost looks like someone just scratched that there for some reason.

And your right about that 68. Same thing is found on many of the 72's and many other dates from back slightly prior to the change over in 82. They make nice looking coins for an Album but no big thing in prices.

Actually, the picture is very bad. In real life, it has definitley been printed on there. It definitley is Post-Mint though.