CoinPeople.com

I think it was just issued as a reckoning counter during the Regency of Anne of Austria, not for any other event/reason. Not dated but I believe the early portraits were used between 1643-1646. Ian will know.

R / bust of Louis XIV to right. - B lying between 2 points (Nicolas Briot) - Feuardent 12,439.

http://www.saivenumismatique.com/article.asp?langue=de&article=15679

By error you have put Louis XIII in the title, I know that you are fully aware it is XIV or XIIII :)

On that note, the reason you'd often see 4 rendered as IIII but never 9 as VIIII, is that IV (the rendering you'd use to be consistent with the rules) just happens happens to be the first two letters of IUVPITER, (Jupiter, ultimately deriving from Zeus Pater--he really was the same guy as Zeus!), the supreme god of the Roman pantheon. Not wanting any sort of bad attention from a god for appropriating their name... they went with IIII.

I think it was just issued as a reckoning counter during the Regency of Anne of Austria, not for any other event/reason. Not dated but I believe the early portraits were used between 1643-1646. Ian will know.

R / bust of Louis XIV to right. - B lying between 2 points (Nicolas Briot) - Feuardent 12,439.

http://www.saivenumismatique.com/article.asp?langue=de&article=15679

By error you have put Louis XIII in the title, I know that you are fully aware it is XIV or XIIII :)

The jeton was issued sometime between 1643 -45 during the regency period when Anne was `Queen Governess' (as regent for the young Louis XIV).

This jeton would have been what is commonly known as a `stock' jeton. That is, a a non generic type struck just in case there was anyone missed out from the issues for the general adminstrations, or indeed if there was any shortfall in the numbers required. Such jetons would be `held in stock' against any such emergency requirement and as such could have been released over a period of time, unlike the typical dated jetons which were minted specific for the year noted.

One thing that seems to have escaped everyone's eye/ mention so far is the legend on the reverse (ANNA DG FRAN ET NA ?EG). The R in REG appears as an I....die filling or an error. I can't tell from the image? :)

Edit: another observation, the jeton in this thread seems to me to be coin rotation. the one on the site referred appears to be medal rotation and most probably a later strike. As an aside, the asking price of 50 euro belongs in the realms of fantasy. With patience you should be able to pick up an example of that jeton for under 10 euro. It is no particular rarity.

My apologies for taking so long to reply, I'm ashamed to admit that this coin was swallowed by my slum of a desk for nearly a week.

It is indeed coin rotation and the R is fully formed although the right hand side of the letter is a micron or so lower than t'other. Filled die?