CoinPeople.com

Rare 1943 Penny Sells for $1 Million

DreamFLight911

• 1 year later...

I'd love to see a list of the most valuable coin for each major series..

I'd love to see a paired list: one column would give a regular issue the other would include varieties and errors (date and mint mark varieties, doubled dies, other goofs like extra corn leaves or no edge lettering etc.) as the two modes of collecting are very different.

Which brings me to a pet peeve of mine; coin album people giving space in a date/mint mark album to things like double die varieties if they just happen to be famous enough. You can complete a Lincoln cent set in fact without a 1955 double die, but the doggone album--sold to beginners for Pete's sake--has that very expensive hole in it. Why that particular variety and no others? Why not have holes for 1943 coppers and 1944 steelies? Out of what rectal database did they pull their criteria for deciding what should and should not irrelevantly be in the date/mint mark album even though it's just some sort of mint flub or inconsistency?

Which brings me to a pet peeve of mine; coin album people giving space in a date/mint mark album to things like double die varieties if they just happen to be famous enough. You can complete a Lincoln cent set in fact without a 1955 double die, but the doggone album--sold to beginners for Pete's sake--has that very expensive hole in it. Why that particular variety and no others? Why not have holes for 1943 coppers and 1944 steelies? Out of what rectal database did they pull their criteria for deciding what should and should not irrelevantly be in the date/mint mark album even though it's just some sort of mint flub or inconsistency?

I agree. I first heard the term "Whitman Bingo" to describe this phenomenon a couple years ago. Part of me thinks it preys on the OCD nature of collectors to fill all those blank holes...

I agree. I first heard the term "Whitman Bingo" to describe this phenomenon a couple years ago. Part of me thinks it preys on the OCD nature of collectors to fill all those blank holes...

Of course some might say it's a good thing because it introduces people to errors and overdates and the like. True but one could do it other ways, such as by putting the two or three of these items at the end of the album, clearly separate from the date/mint mark run. I at least am not OCD enough that I would insist on filling in that section, it's clearly separate.

As long as we are on the topic of things being inappropriately lumped together by... ummm... Whitman, what the heck is the four dollar gold stella pattern doing amongst the regular issue coinage in the red book?