CoinPeople.com

Newbie, have questions

detz

Here we go! ;)

1.) I'm new, what's the easiest most cost effective way to start?  Should I pick one part of coin collection and "master" that, learn everything there is to know about it and slowly move on?

If you plan on going gold, I would answer yes.

2.) Good books to read on common coins.

For such a general statement, I would have to answer the Standard Catalogue of World Coins.

3.) I have bullion...and now I want to sell it off and get coins instead but if I sell them on ebay I will actually loose money(sell for less than they are worth if I melt them) because of fees, any ideas on how to dump the gold?

I concur on the local coin dealer suggestion. If one is not near, then perhaps a jewelry shop.

4.) Is there a central site or sites that I can check prices to see if something is a good deal or if I'm getting ripped off, what's the best way to avoid being taken for a ride?

Sites exist, but it would depend on what specific area you are looking at.

Gold really intrests me so I was thinking of collection old gold coins. Any additional information would be appreciated, thanks!  :ninja:

You mention that you have bullion. So is your reason for aiming at gold coins partly related to an investment/savings goal? If so, I would highly reccommend starting in the non-US field. There you can find lots of appealing gold coins for a little above spot value. US gold has a lot of added "collecter" premium to them.

Welcome to the boards! ;)

US gold has a lot of added "collecter" premium to them.

Welcome to the boards! :ninja:

Very much so. Similar coins with the same weight and production number, the U.S. coin will sell for a higher price. That's one reason U.S. coins are a turn off to me any more, especially gold.

Archived