CoinPeople.com

1766 10 kop on ebay. Am I crazy?

BKB

There are 2 lots: one by russiancoinshop -

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f1c521168

the other by fake seller malenat08:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2a22d036eb

Look at the edge photo -- same photo, I think...

This fake seller got balls... unless it is the same person who just mixed up photos...

Whatever is going on, it is not kosher :-)

First coin looks worn but OK, the second coin looks suspicious, not tempting anyway.

But the edge picture for each of them is the same. :confus:

I suppose that the edge picture belongs to the first (good looking) coin.

That edge picture may have been copied for the 2nd coin???

Sigi

-

yes its seems to me that the second seller took the photo from the first one original. may be not able to photograph his suspecios piece as the first one from chicago

If you can see a photo on just about any website, then you can almost certainly download it.

Naive protections like 'disable right click' , or flickrs "user has disabled saving photos" can be simply bypassed.

There are technologies that websites can use to get around this problem, but they're complex and 99 times out of a 100 it's just not worth the effort.

Is it so easy to take a photo from ebay? They need to figure out a watermark protection system to stop that...

Very easy. Just copy and paste into your own offer. :rofl:

The doubtful item is already above $100 and still 4 hrs to go. Let's see.

Sigi

-

There are technologies that websites can use to get around this problem, but they're complex and 99 times out of a 100 it's just not worth the effort.

Really? I was under the impression that if you can see an image in your browser, then there is at least a temporary picture file already in the cache somewhere on your computer.

Generating a watermark on every image from the server seems like the best option to me (very easy to implement using the GD library). I think ebay used to do this, anyway; don't know why they reverted to showing plain images.

Really? I was under the impression that if you can see an image in your browser, then there is at least a temporary picture file already in the cache somewhere on your computer.

For regular image files (jpgs and the like) yes. What I was referring to are "images" which are assembled from mini-pieces scattered around a server and reassembled in the browser through flash. You don't know where the pieces are, and you don't know the assembly algorithm, therefore you don't get the image. What you can do, of course, is take a sceeenshot. I did that for one of the larger russian sales a couple of years ago, coin by coin, after they switched to this new technology. Tedious.

besides all technologies as i know one buyer bought from me a dozen of modern quarters with little error on it and then relisted them there with my pictures; i did not sell the pictures, but the auction with quartes, lol

in my situation i thought that a seller assumed that buying the whole auction from me is the right to have its picture included

btw i did not mind